I think computers make diving safer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitzflip

You make a good point. I got a very good instructional manual with my Mosquito and have taken the time to try and fully understand the functions it offers. I think you're right in suspecting that many do not. More fool them.

Regards

Hmmm...just found a whole other thread on this...sorry, seems I can do it without a problem...I tried to delete this message but couldn't.

Probably a silly question...sorry....I'm still learning.

I have a Mosquito (which I love). My plan for the future is once I buy my own reg (which should happen in the next few months) I was thinking about getting a Cobra as my primary computer and using the Mosquito as my backup. The only thing that concerns me is that I wouldn't have a redundant air gauge....is there any reason I can't use a regular analog air gauge and my cobra?

When you dive you are always checking your air gauge, or should be. You should also have a feel for your air consumption rate and be able to tell if things are not what they seem. Your gauge should read zero before turning on the air. By never allowing your air supply to get below 600 or 700 psi then you should be safe for most recreational dives even if you did have a malfunction.

Safe diving
Chris

Originally posted by miztflip
When you dive you are always checking your air gauge, or should be. You should also have a feel for your air consumption rate and be able to tell if things are not what they seem. Your gauge should read zero before turning on the air. By never allowing your air supply to get below 600 or 700 psi then you should be safe for most recreational dives even if you did have a malfunction.

Safe diving
Chris

Chris,

I think the statement about 600 or 700 psi is a little too general. It's common, but too general. What depth, and what SAC rates for you and your buddy are you referring to?

I know that for most recreational divers, the SAC rate is unknown or meaningless. But it makes a HUGE difference whether you're going to assist an OOA diver safely, or having to blow off both your and your buddy's decompression stop (safety stop). This gets more critical as the number of dives piles up during the day or week.

It drives me crazy to hear the divemaster on a boat say to get back on with 500 psi. And it happens all the time.

I wasn't stating that as a goal only that even if your gauge were to be off by 500psi which I've never seen and shouldn't be the case for properly maintained gear, then you would be OK. I ususally advocate getting back to the boat with 1000 psi which is a third left in reserve.

I only used that as an example of not running your air supply to zero to allow for a margin of safety. I hear divers far to often brag of taking their last breathe a the ladder. That's usually the last time I dive with them.

Sorry if you took is the wrong way, it was not intended.

My primary buddy and I have SAC rates of about .6 with thirds figured in. This is an average over many dives at many depths. Returning with a third is no problem with most dives.

Chris,

That clears up quite a bit. The difference is, you know your and your buddy's SAC rate. I'll bet dinner that 9 out of 10 rec divers have no clue what SAC means, let alone what the consequences are.

The agencies are just not pushing the students to learn the most basic stuff, and I think it's reprehensible.

I didn't mean to rag on you, just wanted to get a point across to others that didn't have the same grasp on the situation.

I would love to get to .6 SAC. I run by thirds also, and my SAC brings us back too soon for everyone's liking!!

Dive safe,

Jack

I agree as an instructor that alot of the basics are overlooked. It really would be nice if most organizations would spend alot more time on the basics of air consumption and physics.
It's sad when a diver knows that NDL's exist but have no idea of why they do or how they work.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom