I think computers make diving safer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
First off I would like to acknowledge that I am new to diving and recently certified. While this means that I don’t have much experience, but it also means that I have an open mind and have yet to develop too many bad habits.

I have listen to many points of few and based on them believe that diving with an air integrated computer makes diving inherently safer. Why is it safer? The probability of human error is greatly reduced, changes to the dive profile are updated in near real-time, and while they should not be relied upon alarms provide a backup warning. Additionally, after the dive the information, including theoretical nitrogen loading can be analyzed to see what you can improve.

However, this is a point of great debate. On one extreme are divers that maintains computers are unreliable, the scourge of the dive industry or at best, a cute novelty. On the other extreme are the divers that feel that dive computers are the best thing to happen to diving since the invention of SCUBA, and they make diving inherently safer.

What concerns me is that lack of impartial, objective information upon which to base an informed decision. Many experienced divers from who I have learned invaluable lessons appear to have an illogical bias on this issue.

On many occasions this issue is misrepresented, as computers versus tables and tables never fail. I would like to point out that without an SPG, bottom timer, and depth gauge a table is meaningless on a dive. So the real comparison is between computers versus a table, SPG, bottom timer, and depth gauge.

My approach is this:

The backup to my computer is my buddy’s, follow the more conservative.
If either computer fails the dive is over surface safely using the other computer.
If I decide to go into a situation where the dive cannot end easily and safely because of a computer failure, I should have a redundant computer, if I can’t afford one I should pick a less expensive hobby or stick to recreational diving.

If anyone has a logical, objective reason why computers are not safer please let me know. Some of the reasons I heard that do not make sense are:

The battery died. Perform proper maintenance, change the battery, carry a spare, if necessary use redundant computers.

The computer might hit a rock and break. So might the SPG, depth gauge, or bottom timer, what’s the difference?

Once again if anyone has a logical reason why computers are not safe please post it. What makes this board fun is the exchange of differences of opinion. If you feel inclined to hurl insults please buffer them with exceptional wit.

Thanks,
Mike

that you are just too darned analytical and logical to be a diver. I concur with about EVERYTHING you said. Computers do make life simpler and diving inherently safer... and it will point out mistakes in your diving, like missed safety stops, unsafe ascent rates as well as other things.

I dive to pay attention to other things than precise depth and time... I like to relegate that responsibility to my Cobra. So far, she hasn't ditched me!

I generaly agree with what you say...

Your analysis is logical and accepted by any open-minded diver ! Of course I think that I should add here the necessity to also learn dive tables how-to and why in order to know the philosophy behind the computers, the dangers etc

It is different to just read a computer and different to understand it !

Yes, computers are a revolution in safety and this is why I bought a computer (Mosquito) BEFORE anything else !!!! but the knowledge of theory and table make me a better diver...as any knowledge make us better in anything !

Manogr

At this point in your training and experience...
Especially since your mind is open...
Computers are much safer...
Time and Depth???
Who cares...
Dive!!!
:wink:

Of course with an open mind you need to be careful of the computer virus that causes necrotizing neurotitis.

Hopeful this passes as exceptional wit. :D

UP,

Your current state of wit…
As always…
Exceptionnel!!!

Mike

Wouldn't dive without one.

I think the reliability of the computer is as good as the Regulator and has nearly the same failure criticality.

But.....I also am not a mixed gas/tech diver but have had my computer tell me to do a deco stop that the tables would have called non-deco diving I did the stop @60' I think I was better off for it too.

Yes, in general dive computers can be an enhancement to safety, even though they tend to foster an apathetic attitude to doing simple tables (sorta like using a calculator all the time, run outta batteries & yer screwed).
There is one area where they can actually become a safety hazard, when used as intended and that is in your typical resort dive setting, where a person pushes the NDLs all the way to the hairy edge after multiple days of diving. That's when the so-called "undeserved hits" start popping up. Divers need to be aware of this problem & get conservative, even if it means skimping on bottom time.

I thought about an air integrated computer but decided that a non integrated one was the way to go - I bought a Mosquito. If my computer screws up for whatever reason I will still know how much air I have left and what depth I'm at. Since I will have planned my dive using the tables I won't be reliant on just one bit of kit.

Knowing how to use the computer properly is the most important issue facing the everyday recreational diver. Without fail, there is atleast one diver on the boat each week who has no idea what their computer is telling them.

Just two weeks ago a lady with a shiny new suunto stinger came up from her dive telling me just how wonderful her new computer was. She says

"It even tells me the depth and time of my safety stop"

when I looked at her computer I had to explain to her that it was not her safety stop but an emergency decompression stop. She had been violating deco on all the dives she had done with that computer.

Just wish people were willing to take the time to learn their gear.

Back
Top Bottom