I saw this commercial last night "Be a Diver"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3::rofl3: Yes, I did. And the people making their shore exits looking like they're not carrying any weights at all? I wish I looked that good making a shore exit. :rofl3:

I also tried the website
thebestdivestore.com
that was mentioned in the commercial and got a link to only one store. I'm guessing dive shops have to buy into the co-op ad?

They are using the new disposable lead weights---just dump on the ocean floor @ the 10' mark & come on out--sooner or later they'll rot & be part of the sea.....

I agree though, it's a great looking commercial.

What networks are running it? I watch very little TV.

need to buy one sometimes...:).........they're cheap these days esp the tube type--but analog is going out in Feb, will need cable or satellite or a converter......lol

I agree though, it's a great looking commercial.

What networks are running it? I watch very little TV.

I'm pretty sure I saw it on MSN. I was watching that and Comedy Central, and for some reason, I don't think it was on CC. :D

Disposable weights? :rofl3:

You see a lot of their "Be a Diver" adverts in in-flight magazines in the Caribbean (hoping to encourage tourists to try it, I suppose).

Unfortunately there are so few flights in the Caribbean region these days, that looks like advertising money poorly spent.

I also tried the website
thebestdivestore.com
that was mentioned in the commercial and got a link to only one store. I'm guessing dive shops have to buy into the co-op ad?

That's how it works indeed. DEMA did the ad, but an LDS has to run it. (I think DEMA is actually running it in some places without the LDS-specific call to action.)

It's really a pretty poor idea strategically, because the shop that runs the ad has a pretty low likelihood of getting a disproportionate share of the already-questionable benefit of any increase in traffic.

It's really a pretty poor idea strategically, because the shop that runs the ad has a pretty low likelihood of getting a disproportionate share of the already-questionable benefit of any increase in traffic.
I think you're probably right because the shop that came up in my search was in NYC and I just wouldn't schlep into the city when I have a shop about 10 miles away. But if were looking to get certified and I didn't know about the shop a few towns over, then I might have called the one in NYC.

I was just so happy to see diving on TV. :wink:

You see a lot of their "Be a Diver" adverts in in-flight magazines in the Caribbean (hoping to encourage tourists to try it, I suppose).

Unfortunately there are so few flights in the Caribbean region these days, that looks like advertising money poorly spent.

It's also sort of "right message, wrong time" in terms of media selection. Running in Caribbean travel magazines that people would use to PLAN a vacation might make sense. But an inflight mag that hits them when they are on the plane and only a few hours away - and probably have a minute-by-minute itinerary already planned out - is sort of dumb.

"Hey honey, I know we're about to land, but I just saw this ad here and I'm thinking maybe we should scrap everything we had planned for the next week and spend the first two days in a classroom and the shallow end of the pool. Then set aside the next two days to do check-out dives. I know we already pre-paid for the jungle tour and the snorkeling cruise and the rental car, but it will only cost us an extra $500 each to do this dive class. Can we honey? Please? Oh please? Can we!?!"

I think you're probably right because the shop that came up in my search was in NYC and I just wouldn't schlep into the city when I have a shop about 10 miles away. But if were looking to get certified and I didn't know about the shop a few towns over, then I might have called the one in NYC.

I was just so happy to see diving on TV. :wink:

I've actually reviewed the entire "Be A Diver" marketing plan, and in my opinion it's really pretty poorly conceived strategically and void of real tactical execution. But hey, what do I know?

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom