"I refuse to dive with him!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Gentle people: please remain on topic and stop the squabbling! Thanks in advance.

He's right. We have to find a way to blame PADI for this.

Vandit

Storm:
OOPS!! :banghead: It's been a long night. I've been at the keyboard for about nine hours straight today so I guess I'm getting a little word blind. I promise that I will try to do better next time.

Pobody's nerfect. (he whispers....we won't talk about that "ain't":05: )

In all seriousness, if you want a sober second set of eyes (at least they will be tomorrow morning) to go through your manuscript, send it along. Besides, I would like the article for my own information purposes.

Cheers and 'Gnite'.
Doc, if you'll indulge me for one more OT reply ...

Storm (or anyone else) ... I'll be happy to share the Gas Management info with whomever wants it.

Just send me a PM with your e-mail addy attached, and I'll send it via e-mail. It's a 200+K Word for Windows file. Actually, I e-mailed it to about 10 ScubaBoarders yesterday ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver0001:
I would be a better buddy if .....

Sideband would be a better buddy if he'd schlep more gear and make less jokes :D

Oh, not the point of the exercise, eh?

I would be a better buddy if I got to dive more, these frickin Mid-West winters are killing me here.

Seriously though, I think I would be a better buddy to some divers if I had better planning skills. I try to give a good buddy briefing without resorting to the NAUI S & P but I always find myself wanting to give a hand-sign that I forgot to cover or give a hand sign to find my buddy didn't remember what I was talking about. Diving with my regular buds they are used to me and my underwater habits, getting in with newbs I see I forgot to brief handsigns like "Slow Down", or "Relax".

Hey Bob...

Why not send me your treatise and I will put it into our Portal so everyone can get it! :D My E-mail is just below!

OK ... I'll make some editorial changes suggested by NadMat first (thanks NadMat) and send it along ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ok skipper...you're on.

CD_in_Chitown:
Sideband would be a better buddy if he'd schlep more gear and make less jokes :D

Oh, not the point of the exercise, eh?

Oh! You are SO not getting a valentine card from me now.

Joe

I understand some of you guys wouldn’t want to dive with me… at least not until I’m more experienced. Yet I don’t think lack of experience is the only reason we newsby become «dangerous» under water. Proper planning, briefing and confidence matter. Perharps even more so for those of us who know we don’t know.

OK, here’s my (long) story :
A month ago, I went to Hurghada, Egypt, to dive the Red Sea. I’m only OW, 15 dives in my log-book, and since I live in Paris, France, I hadn’t been diving for 11 months. Upon arrival, I asked the dive op that worked with my hotel to follow some advanced ow courses (especially buyancy) but they hadn’t scheduled any. So I asked for a refreshing course before actually going on a «real» dive but they told me not to worry, all dives are led by certified DMs and instructors, and we always do a briefing during the 1-hr boat ride and so on…

So I book for 6 dives, rent the equipment (surprise : I get a BCD filled with salt water… that’s reassuring) and get on the boat with 30 other people. There were 2 briefings :
1- Take off your shoes and don’t get inside the boat while wet.
2- OK, reef’s in front of you, go this way, at this depth, turn around when tank is half empty, you, you, you and you, come with me. Get your suits on and let’s go.

I’m not kidding : there were no review of signals, no mentionning the 10 other boats surrounding us, no talking about ascend procedures, no checking our equipment and no buddy assignment!

Next thing I know, everyone is in the water but me, as I’m frantically checking my gear for the 4th time. Oh, and I also have the hardest time putting on my socks and fins, as the ones they gave me are not my size…

By the time I get into the water (while the DM keeps on urging me to hurry up and stop stressing), I’m actually quite stressed out. I descend slowly, partly because my BCD has trouble emptying itself (yes, I had taken the water out of it before hand), partly because my mask has a small leak and I have to empty it regularily.

When I reach the DM’s depth, I’m already lagging behind the group and feeling a bit nervous. I have trouble staying buyant and since I’m tiny, my jacket doesn’t quite fit and the tank keeps rolling left to right on my back. I use my arms a lot to keep my balance and keep up with the others. OK, you might ask : why didn’t you tell them to slow down or signal you were having problems? Well, I didn’t think I was doing that bad, I didn’t want to spoil the others’dive with what I thought were minor problems, I felt ashamed, and, most importantly, I had totally forgotten what I had been taught about overexhaution. So everytime the DM turned around and signaled are you OK, I fingered OK back to him…
Until I had trouble breathing and started to panic and think : I’m f*ing gonna die!!!!!!!!

Eventually, I managed to reach the DM and grab his fin and he calmed me down, held my hand thru the rest of the dive and it was OK.

I have another horror story (same place, different DM) to tell but enough for today.
Anyway, my point for both stories is the same :

we «unstadivers» need reassurance. At least I do. When I was learning and diving with my instructor in Mexico, I knew I was just a beginner, yet I always felt safe. Knew that he wouldn’t let anything bad happen to me or anyone else under his responsability. Therefore not only could I enjoy the dive, I was also able to concentrate on improving my skills, and felt confident enough to let him know if anything seemed wrong without fear of beeing mocked at.

I’ll do my homework and take classes and improve my skills. And please, for those of you who don’t like to babysit : feel free to refuse to go under with us. You wouldn’t have fun with us, and we wouldn’t feel comfortable diving with you.

Cheers
Annlaur

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom