I quit smoking and have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally quit smoking around the 1st of December. I am 60 and smoked from when I was 18. I am using a nicotine patch but so far it has not been difficult so I should stay wuit.
I get a physical every year. I take a couple of low dose meds for slightly high blood pressure.
My primary care doc sent me to a cardiologist a few years ago after thinking he saw something on an ekg. The cardiologist put mecthrough a stress test. My throughput is very good and my ekg is normal.
I am hoping to get off the meds once I get off the patch. My bp has already been lower since I quit and the nicotine in the patch may be keeping it higher for now.
My breathing is already much better.

My question is- are there any other tests I need to do to make sure I don’t make a headline in the accident forum?
I need to exercise more. I played softball until I was 50, and I can promise you 50 is too old to play 3rd base.
I need to lose some weight too but that is coming.

Anything else?

Quitting smoking is the best thing you’ve done.... getting annual or semi annual physicals is the next best thing....if your numbers look good....enjoy life!

I have tried quitting many times, but this feels different. I Hated them and what they could do to me.
I have tried the patch once before but I think my head wasn’t where I needed it to be. It’s getting easier everyday. So far no urges to smoke, just a fee random thoughts early but they were easy to get past.

Congrats! According to this, you're well over the hump of the most difficult period for withdrawal, your heart attack risk has already dropped and your lung function and circulation have noticeably improved: Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

As to what else you could do, I'm neither a doctor nor a smoker/ex-smoker, but the above page mentions some milestones you can expect to hit and might want to discuss with your doctor if you don't. Exercise might be a good idea, as all the ex-smokers I've known have gained at least a pound or two once food started tasting good again. :wink:

Congratulations!

I never smoked, but had plenty of friends and family who did when I was growing up.

My recommendation for you to edge into conditioning by just going out and walking. Start slow, walk around your neighborhood, or find a local park with sidewalks or a walking trail.

Breathing in the fresh air as you work your lungs will make it all feel worthwhile.

Congratulations on quitting smoking. You'll want to ensure that you don't have any COPD that would put you at risk for air trapping and pulmonary barotrauma, and also that you are capable of exercising at a level that diving may require, including rescuing a dive buddy. Aside from that, as long as your physician has cleared you for full physical activity, I don't see anything alarming in what you've posted.

Best regards,
DDM

Walking is first. I plan to concentrate on cardio. I hate running but I do have a good bicycle.
As soon as it warms up enough that I don’t freeze when changing I also plan on doing a lot of snorkeling in local lakes. I just have to keep in mind that I won’t be doing as much as when I was younger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom