I purchased a 3mm suit, was it a mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As everyone else said, cold tolerance is very individual.... but a snug suit makes a huge difference due to less water movement/flushing inside. I have a cheap 3 mil that worked fine for me at the St. Andrews jetty in December (60* water temp) with a neoprene beanie and 3 mil gloves, but the gentleman I was diving with was in a 6/7 semi dry and complained of the cold.... I would suggest a hooded vest like tbone said, and see how it does for you. If your 3 mil doesn't cut it, keep it as your really warm water suit!

As everyone else said, cold tolerance is very individual.... but a snug suit makes a huge difference due to less water movement/flushing inside. I have a cheap 3 mil that worked fine for me at the St. Andrews jetty in December (60* water temp) with a neoprene beanie and 3 mil gloves, but the gentleman I was diving with was in a 6/7 semi dry and complained of the cold.... I would suggest a hooded vest like tbone said, and see how it does for you. If your 3 mil doesn't cut it, keep it as your really warm water suit!

3 mil in 60? You sir are either part harbor seal or have no nerve endings in your skin lol

what sort of temps and insulation did you wear for you open water? And base it on that. I don't get cold easily so I don't do many layers.

what sort of temps and insulation did you wear for you open water? And base it on that. I don't get cold easily so I don't do many layers.
In my Open water we were in a quarry in July so the surface temp was comfortable without anything. In my Advanced I was in a 5mm with hood and gloves but I didn't stay at depth long since my gear had a malfunction. I think the temps at depth were low to mid 60's

In my Open water we were in a quarry in July so the surface temp was comfortable without anything. In my Advanced I was in a 5mm with hood and gloves but I didn't stay at depth long since my gear had a malfunction. I think the temps at depth were low to mid 60's
so you wore a 5mm at around 60. how did you feel during the dive or did you hit the bottom and come right back up.. do you know what the the approx temps you will be diving in?

I did several dives in 74-76* water down to a max of 112’ in a 3mm shorty and I was comfortable.

70* with a 3mm full...bring a hood just in case. If you’re cold tolerant...I think it’s doable. If you’re not cold tolerant...I’d go pick up a vest to wear over it or get a 5mm.

in 70 degree water you need at least a full 5 mil with hood and gloves and many like me would still be cold if i do 3 or 4 dives a day. At 70 ill just use my 7 mil Bare brand suit without a hood or gloves. I wouldnt use a 3mil until close to 80 degrees.

edit after thinking for a while. if its 70 degrees use a 7 mil and hood and gloves, boots of course too. You wont overheat at that temp. you could always unzip the back of the wetsuit a bit if you run hot or take off the gloves and hood.

everyone would freeze their bojangles off in a 3 mil at 70 degrees

I did four dives the Saturday before last in 48* water in a 5mm. I was comfortable the first two dives, the third was tolerable, and I gutted out the fourth.

Not saying that I would recommend that, but that if you’re cold tolerant...70* in a 3mm full isn’t that crazy.

I did several dives in 74-76* water down to a max of 112’ in a 3mm shorty and I was comfortable.

70* with a 3mm full...bring a hood just in case. If you’re cold tolerant...I think it’s doable. If you’re not cold tolerant...I’d go pick up a vest to wear over it or get a 5mm.

I did four dives the Saturday before last in 48* water in a 5mm. I was comfortable the first two dives, the third was tolerable, and I gutted out the fourth.

Not saying that I would recommend that, but that if you’re cold tolerant...70* in a 3mm full isn’t that crazy.

You are an extreme outlier. I have an 8/7 Semidry and also a DM at my diveshop has an 8/7 semi dry and. At 46 degrees its quite chilly for either of us. diveable yes and multiple dives yes but you feel the cold.

5mil in 48 degrees is kinda insane. Monterey is always 52 down to 46 in certain open areas and no one uses a 5 mil ever. its all drysuits and farmer john 7 mils.

5????? noooooo. You are in a smaller than 1% niche. You might want to get a physical to see if you are half alien lol. either that or you are 5ft 5 and 400 pounds. I mean apologies if thats true im just trying to figure out a way thats possible.

to add on to what others have said; is it a mistake (on the time scale of your scuba career)? No, because everyone needs a 3 mm at some point. But was it a mistake for this specific dive trip? Maybe, because it's not the most well-suited choice for the temps you're looking to dive. If you're talking High 60's low 70s, your "best bet" would probably be a 7 mm full or a 5 mm full with a 3 mm hooded vest. You'll survive with a 3 mm hooded vest under/over your 3 mm wetsuit, but you'll probably be uncomfortable.

In general, lots of people complain about being cold, but few people ever complain they were too warm.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I noticed leisure pro has the Thermaprene 5mm at a pretty decent price. Get that plus hood and gloves and we will see. Before I do that I am going to visit a different shop and see what they have to offer.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I noticed leisure pro has the Thermaprene 5mm at a pretty decent price. Get that plus hood and gloves and we will see. Before I do that I am going to visit a different shop and see what they have to offer.
I find a hooded vest much more flexible than a hood. I quit wearing a hood when I discovered it. It can be added onto any base full suit to add several degrees of tolerance. The Thermaprene or Thermaprene Pro hooded vest is not terribly expensive.

Back
Top Bottom