I never thought I'd be involved in an "extreme" sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluOrchid2

Reaction score
I just got my Open Water cert in October, and the first dive recorded in my brand spankin' new log book was diving The Living Seas at Epcot, in Walt Disney World on December 1st. Husband and I are leaving for the Riviera Maya next week to go diving, drinking, and loving. First vacation alone together (no kids!) in 8 years, since our honeymoon. I never thought I would scuba dive, but hubby always wanted to with me, and I finally agreed to get certified. He bragged on me, even though I had some anxious moments, the whole time. Imagine how surprised I was when I found out that diving is considered an "extreme" sport!

Hello to everyone from Missouri. :)

Hi Blu,

Glad you're enjoying scuba diving, and welcome to ScubaBoard.

There is all sorts of information here for nearly any question you'd care to ask. (And some you wouldn't care to ask!!) (Don't ask...) Its a sport that can take you all over the world to some fascinating places.

[But recreational scuba diving is generally only thought of as 'extreme' by people who don't do it! Most of us just have fun!]

Have a nice trip without the kids,

Doc

to the Scuba Board!
No worries k. you'll dive a few more times and you'll be hooked for life. then every chance you get you'll be here at the SB reading or posting or both.
Glad you swam in.

Mike

I hate that phrase "extreme". To me scuba is a technical adventure. Also, is scuba a sport?? Since there is no winner, no teams, no championship does it qualify as a sport? Activity yes, sport??????

Anyway, be safe and keep learning.

MikeC:
I Also, is scuba a sport?? Since there is no winner, no teams, no championship does it qualify as a sport? Activity yes, sport??????
Anyway, be safe and keep learning.

It may be interesting to note that Websters defines sport as being "to amuse oneself" and "a source of diversion"

They don't mention anything about the necessity of sport having to do with teams, confrontation, winning, or the pursuit of becoming a champion! In addition it doesent mention anything about the necessity of using balls, pucks, javelins, racquets or any other specific piece of equipment.

Julie

Thanks for the welcome. I knew I wasn't an extremist, after all. :wink:

Scubakevdm, this is a summary statement made about diving The Living Seas that describes the experience pretty good. "The ultimate dive ... in 6-million gallon aquarium with more than 65 species of marine life, including sharks, turtles, a sawfish, eagle rays and diverse, small tropical fish. The dive offers guaranteed calm seas, no current, clear water and bright coral structures."

Here are some links about The Living Seas.

Information
Reports, Experiences
Another Experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom