I need suggestions on preserving environment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have fishing pier clean ups -
a couple of weeks every spring a number of shops and clubs organize clean ups where divers go out to pick up garbage so to speak... It's good for the sea and there is a great opportunity to meet new dive buddies...

Terkel

Another great idea, One of the best ways to start is to help clean the mess; it will keep most from making the mess ever again. People always think what will this little thing I throw away matter, when they realize a few million people doing the same as in a clean up one tends to see impact like never before. Divers are not the cause of pollution we are a part of the solution by bringing awareness to many environmental conditions all over the world. Gloves and glowsticks, Im die'n over hea???

The overly opinionated,

Bobby,

I think we can all agree that we should be part of the solution. But I have to agree with Don that battery driven lights are better IMHO - Batteries can be recycled to the local county's hazardous waste dept. In WA they have "drives" to collect stuff, I personally try to look at the amount of waste produced - and a battery is smaller and last longer than a stick - besides that - I have yet to see a stick or a battery light that really works for that purpose.

It also would not hurt anyone to bring a lobster bag down and just pick up the junk lying around - I'm not saying youhave to clean it all up - but if we all grab something every other trip - the need for "clean-ups" woudl be reduced...

Cheers,
Terkel

I agree with you on the trash pick up. (I come up with some on every dive) I just differ with the solution for lighting Plastic can be recycled too, and the solution in the stick is non toxic, unlike that in Batteries. when i was in law enforcement we used different color sticks as well as brightness. There are quite a few other than the std green, blue ,red 12-24hr stick light. I keep 30min Brite Whites on me for back up all the time. Much better that most lights i know. Crack one on top and they will see you if your strobe fails, underwater help you find our way out. My point is that the diver does not need rules and laws to goveren him, we need rules and laws to change the way waste is handled in general and stop looking to the oceans as a dumping ground, not restrict divers from wearing gloves and using light sticks. Just not a good way to handle it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom