I need some Back exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The gym i go to is pretty threadbare. One bench press, two squat racks, an incline bench, and a flat bench as well as pre made dumbells starting at 35 pounds and up....

I can work all body parts quite well except back. No pulley machines like i was used to in the day.

At the moment all i am doing is one arm row and bent over row (i don't really like that one) THere isn't a pull up bar there either...

Can anyone suggest some other back exercises i can do?

Thanks

Does the weight bench have a leg lift on it? Because I am TOOOO lazy to change all the weights on hubby's uni-gym I put more on the leg lift on my old ratty hand me down weight bench (so it his fault I'm fat). And use it to row with...

Mike Veitch:
The gym i go to is pretty threadbare. One bench press, two squat racks, an incline bench, and a flat bench as well as pre made dumbells starting at 35 pounds and up....

I can work all body parts quite well except back. No pulley machines like i was used to in the day.

At the moment all i am doing is one arm row and bent over row (i don't really like that one) THere isn't a pull up bar there either...

Can anyone suggest some other back exercises i can do?

Thanks

well you can do the deadlift. great back exercise. you can also do heavy squats, this will strengthen your lower back. you can also try:

1. upright row: use a flat benchpress bar, slightly lower weight and squeeze upwards toward your abdomen.

2. you can also improvise doing widegrip pullups by placing a bar at the highest point of your squatrack and hang and pull from there.

www.billpearl.com for an old guy he is pretty hot! He has a book that has tons of exercises and free workouts on his web site. If you order the book he is usally the one who answers the phone. Really nice guy. He is a former Mr Universe.

workouts http://www.billpearl.com/bpprograms.asp

I have Keys to the Inner Universe and have found it very helpful and easy to find exercises that work for me http://www.billpearl.com/product.asp?i=7

I also have Getting in Shape, but if I could only have 1 it would be Keys

Try seated rows, lat pulldowns, and reverse butterflies.

Another thing is work your abs a lot. You would be surprised how much strength you gain in your back when you strengthen your abs. A lot of people don't relaize how big of an effect your abs have on your back. Most people with back problems have weak abs.

Physical therapists and doctors often prescribe resistance exercises with those bungee type stretch straps. It's very low cost and you can alter the resistance very easily. I have a great gym in my house, but the resistance bungees have been a great addition and I can take them with me when I travel. I injured my back last summer and the advice was to work abs not the back. It seems to be good advice!

I hesitate to post, as this is not really a good forum for this sort of thing, but here goes:
The back is a pretty complex area, so its a little unclear what in your back you wish to train. For lower back, good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, and deadlifts are all good. As someone else suggested, heavy squats are also good. Note that these exercises, especially the powerlifting deadlift and squat, should only be performed with pristine form as they involve substantial risk to the areas being trained. For training of the middle/middle upper latissimus muscles, you need to pull on something, either rowing or pulling down somehow, maybe with a bungee apparatus. The trapezius muscles, mostly counted as upper back, can be trained with any variety of shrugs.
A decent all back workout can be accomplished with hang/power cleans, partial olympic movements, though once again pristine form is needed as the potential for injury is high with such a dynamic movement.
I am not a 'certified' trainer, though I have trained and studied with Steve Ilg off and on for about 20 years. I strongly recommend you get an expert involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom