I need coldwater diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I've never been good at that whole C to F conversion thing, but I assume that 5*C is probably in the 33-45*F range. Only thing I can suggest other than buying a drysuit is to bring a jug of hot water with you. Pour it in your suit right before you get into the water, and hopefully it'll help insulate you.

how thick is your suit?

Bring hot water with you. Pour some into your suit before the dive and during a surface interval. You won't regret it.

You will want at least a 7mm bodysuit or farmer john and jacket. A bibbed hood, or better yet an hooded vest, will keep you warmer. I have a 7mm shorty that goes over the bodysuit for extra warmth.

Look for a wetsuit with internal gussets and seals. They will restrict water flow even more and keep you warmer.

The most important feature of any wetsuit is fit. 14mm of neoprene won't keep you warm if it doesn't fit properly.

It's amasing how nice a thermos of hot water can feel. Diet can help too. My ex stepson would get forzen in minutes outside. I had him eat a can of sardines the night before an ice fishing trip and another in the am. He was making snowballs with no gloves on and wasen't cold. Something high in fat will do wonders to keep you warm.

If you are just talking about when you are in the water: IMHO - get a drysuit.

If are talking about above water:
For your SI change out of your wetsuit into dry clothes and hat. Bring a thermos of warm water for your suit and another filled with something hot to drink. Both these techniques will make your experience much better.
If you have a sheltered place to stay during your SI get a propane space heater.

Best way to stay warm in your wetsuit in cold water is, to leave it at home and take your drysuit instead :D seriously though do take some warm water with you and put it in your suit between dives. I also take off the top and pull the farmer john down to my waist and then put a long coat over fleece or other such material. A few good ways to take water are in a thermos, if you have several divers you can take a 32qt cooler half full of warm water and use a coffee can to dip and pour, but personaly I take a propane stove and a few gallon jugs of water that way its always good and hot!
Also in colder water try to stay moving and you will stay warmer than if you stay put.

FYI for the celcius impaired, 5 degrees C is 42 degrees F.

I would agree with the warm water in the suit approach but would suggest using water no warmer than normal skin temp - about 87 degrees. Water hotter than that will expand the capilaries and will direct more blood to the surface of your skin and will ultimately promote more rapid cooling. If the water feels warm, it is actually too warm. You will feel great intiially, but that effect is transient and does you more harm in the long run. You want to fill the suit with water that is close to skin temp to prevent your body from having to warm the 42 degree water that enters instead, but don't overdo it.

A good fitting 7mm suit is a must as are 7mm boots and hood and you need at least 5mm gloves. 7mm three finger mitts will keep your fingers much warmer and your fingers are normnally the limiting factor in water that cold.

Between dives either remove the suit immediately or cover it up. Wet suits become big evaporative coolers out of the water and you need to limit the evaporation to stay warm. You can cover the wet suit with a waterproof rain suit and then put an overcoat for extra insulation over the top. In really cold air temps, evaporation is self limiting as the water freezes into ice on the suit. But in my experience, in those temps with a wet suit, one dive a day is more than enough.

ABS_100:
I need tips for staying warm in a wetsuit in 5 degree Celsius water.
Water temps in the low 40s are nothing to screw around with.

So long as things go as planned, you're golden on - as Pug puts it - short, shallow dives. But what do you do if things don't go as planned? Hypothermia can set in rapidly in water that cold.

I'd recommend you consider getting a drysuit if you're going to consistently dive in 42 degree water...

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

Back
Top Bottom