I need a NEW mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new mask and dont know where to begin.
I know i want a mask with a good field of view and one that allows me to see down (at my equipment) easily.

A lot of people like teh x vision but it is a little too big for my face.
Can you guys give me some ideas of a mask that fits the criteria and a slightly narrower face???

And if anyone in Southern Cal. knows a good LDS with a good variety of masks that would be great help as well.

Thanks in advance

Mask fit is 100% personal...what I like may not work for you and vice versa. Just go hit a bunch of dive shops and start trying them on. You'll figure out real quick which one to buy.

X-Vision has a wider field of view in all directions than any other mask I have tried (including Big Eyes). You may want to try the new smaller version of the X-Vision. It's called the X-Medium or something like that.

I don't think Big Eyes will work for you. It leaked on me at the sides and X-Vision fits me like a glove. So I think it's for wider faces.

If I were looking now, I'd try to find one of the new Atomic masks and see how it fits.

Good luck! Trying them on is really the only way, though I bought my X-Vision from Scubatoys and got lucky. My LDS is 2 hours away, so the "drive around and try em on" thing just doesn't fly in my case :wink:

Mares makes a mask called the Mariner. I've never seen one except on the website, but they come in a medium skirt that is suppose to be good for smaller faces, as well as the regular skirt.

You may want to call Larry at ScubaToys, and see if he has any ideas. There are generally not a lot of descriptions or options listed on the webpages of manufactures who make masks, but retailers may know of more options that us consumers are not aware of :D

CAPX28:
I am in the market for a new mask and dont know where to begin.
I know i want a mask with a good field of view and one that allows me to see down (at my equipment) easily.

Thanks in advance

I have the Mare X-stream but have corrective lenses inserted before they were more popular but like them just fine. I also bought a backup mask from Mares called the X-stream. It might not have the full view of the xvision but it sits closer to the face and there is no ridge in the skirt. Very low volume. I also read on this board in a thread that the X-vision was coming out with a smaller skirt for people such as yourself with smaller faces. Check with your local LDS.

Jason

We are making a new Xvision mid. It has a smaller skirt designed for more narrow faces. Some LDS's had the opportunity to preview this product at the end of Nov. so there may be some still available in your area.

We are launching this product nationally in 3 colors on Feb 25, 2006. If you pm me I may be able to help you locate a store that previewed the product to try.

zak

DiveMe:
Mask fit is 100% personal...what I like may not work for you and vice versa. Just go hit a bunch of dive shops and start trying them on. You'll figure out real quick which one to buy.

This is certainly true.

In any case, you may want to look into frameless masks such as Oceanic Shadow or Shadow Mini for people with smaller faces.

You also might want to check out the TUSA M16 & M16QB. I have not seen this yet except via their web site but it looks like it has a lot of adjustment capability as well as a different design on the mask skirt where it meets the face.

It also appears to be decent for 'mid' size faces as well as smaller frame faces based on the limited info available - it's in a recent magazine article.

http://www.tusa.com/index2.html

Back
Top Bottom