I need a little help/advice.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been asked if a major UK charity can use one of my pictures in a conservation campaign (one of my infamous blenny pics!!).

They have asked me for an A5 sized 300dpi version.

Do I simply work out the dimensions by working out 300 (DPI) by 8.5" x 6" (A5) size?

This would give an image of 2550 x 1800 pixels???

Or am I being dumb? :06:

A5 is 148 milimiters x 210 milimiters. So I think that 800x600 pixels is enough.
The best is to ask somebody who works in the publishing house - they should know it.
Mania
PS. I'm off to Sharm in two weeks :p

mania:
PS. I'm off to Sharm in two weeks :p

The sample he had was 800 x 535 and he said that he'd need a higher res version...????

:11: - I've still got 9 weeks (can you tell i'm counting) I'll be looking forward to the trip report :wink:

P.S. Did the drunk camera ever recover?

I may have found a solution

http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

Here's the results (looks like a 16 bit might be too big to email though !!):-

2550x1800 pixels will print 8.50 x 6.00 inches (215.9 x 152.4 mm)
at a MAXIMUM of 300 pixels per inch (118 pixels per cm)
(Maximum meaning any cropping lowers printing resolution)

2550 pixels / 300 ppi = 8.50 inches
1800 pixels / 300 ppi = 6.00 inches

This 2550 x 1800 pixel image size is 4.59 million pixels, with Aspect Ratio 1.42 : 1

The image size in memory is: (see explanation of size and megabytes)
26.264 MB if 48 bit RGB
17.509 MB if 32 bit CMYK
13.132 MB if 24 bit RGB
8.755 MB if 16 bit GrayScale
4.377 MB if 8 bit GrayScale
0.547 MB if Line Art

Why don't you just send them a print? If you email an origianl file anybody can use it.

still copyright burned,
Leesa

They've asked for the file itself (presumably easier and better quality to work off).

I'll be getting a credit for it. I'm confident that this particular organisation wouldn't use it unscrupulously.

Congrats!

I would think if they want to publish it, they would have the knowledge to use your original sized file and convert it to the compression they need. Or at the very least, the publisher they're using should. You're doing their work for them!

Thanks!

Yes I suppose so, but I that's the price of getting stuff published I suppose :wink:

After all the playing about with calculators and rulers, I ended up using the image>image size tool in PS CS - DOH! :bonk:

chippy:
Thanks!

Yes I suppose so, but I that's the price of getting stuff published I suppose :wink:

After all the playing about with calculators and rulers, I ended up using the image>image size tool in PS CS - DOH! :bonk:

haha, wish I had seen this earlier - would have suggested exactly this. I always resize to 300 dpi and the exact print dimensions before taking photos for printing - otherwise you get the auto-crop. Most printers work on 300dpi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom