i need a camera!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey:
Definitely a point and shoot ****canon**** that you like for land photography... If you are just getting into u/w photography; you want to use it above and below the water.

I suggest Canon A-series with a Canon housing to start. 4-5megapix should run you $150+ for an older model and $250+ for a newer model. The housing should be good to below 90ft and run $130+

You could get great fun shots for around $350-$400

P.S. Many of the Point and shooters will also have a Video clip mode... always another way to bring the dive home!
thats what i am looking for... right there... to take home the dive.....thanks

i was looking at the cannon a610 it cost about 230 at walmart and ikelite the housing cost about 400... not sure if i need a strobe or not.... but right now i am looking at 630 bucks....and where can i find the housing for 130

The Canon housings are usually around the $150 mark.

Note that you will not be able to add wet mate lenses to the Canon housing for the 620 but you will be able to add strobes.

Go to a website called B&H Photo. They have great deals on cameras. I bought a Sea & Sea 5000. It is an awesome camera. I was nervous at first then I found out that they were an authorized retailer (from Sea and Sea). I have since purchased a wide angle lense and I am can't wait to use it.

I was in the same position a few weeks ago. I highly recommend Ryan at Reefphoto.com He is frequently mentioned on the SB site and provides excellent and timely feedback. My eventual purchase was the Oly 350 ($50 rebate until July) and the Oly housing good to 130 feet. both for under $450! A sweet feature of the 350 is the video capability. Zowie!!! 640 x 320 at 30 frames per minute! Is way too cool!
Reef photo has specials on trays and strobes to enhance your captured image. I highly reccomend a strobe of some kind.

Price point is a huge issue. I figure that the range is really like $400 or less, $1500 or less and then the sky is the limit!!! Good luck.

go to bhphotovideo.com and pick a couple of cameras that you like; price, megapix, and functions. Then search the underwater section for the corresponding housings; if you find a canon camera try looking at the canon housings first or if you like an Oly camera try looking at the Oly housings.

OR go to Reefphoto.com and talk to Ryan about his suggested setups, you tell him what you're interested in and he'll tell you what you need.

don't worry about a strobe right now... If the camera has a built in flash you can purchase one as a slave setup later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom