I MUST dive the U-352 this season...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll dive it with you... This is Andy from SCDT. I went down last summer with a buddy and dove with Olympus. They took us to the U352 and tried to put us on it but the current was just too fast. There are no guarantees unless you rent a private charter boat and conditions allow it. In any case, the wrecks are phenomenal. I'm planning on going back down Labor Day weekend, NC is a great trip.
Ah, that explains the message you send me on Facebutt, haha. Small world.

Let's do it!

Olympus actually found that sub and they have a lot of artifacts on display that came from there. I was fortunate enough to interview George Purifoy on his discovery of that sub and to the best of my knowledge, that was his last television interview. I may be able to join you depending on what dates you select.
Well it looks like myself, Andy, and some others are likely going to do a Labor Day weekend venture
Yep, I've been blown out on a number of occasions. Also, as someone else mentioned, it can be hit or miss even if you get out on the water. I've been on Olympus' boat headed to one wreck and we ended up diving another because the current was screaming where we originally planned to dive. Weather-wise, summer will be your best bet, but if you can allot some extra days your chances will be better.

From a historical perspective, the U-352 is amazing, it's definitely worth doing. From an actual dive perspective though, there are more interesting wrecks in the area.

Makes sense. And yeah, the historical value is most of what I'm after.

I did the Thistlegorm in Egypt last year and, besides being a great wreck, the historicity of it just blew me away.

I am looking for a buddy(ies) to dive the wreck of the U-352 this season. I am also looking for advice on how to arrange such a dive (which dive charter/shop, etc.)

Long story short: I’m an avid wreck diver and WW2 history junkie who’s been trying to dive the U-352 for years. Every year, some unforeseen event torpedoes my plans (pun intended). This year, my NC-based friend found out he is moving within the next few weeks and thus won’t be able to do the dive this season.

I live in Philadelphia and will be driving down with all my gear. I really, really want to see the U-boat this year. I shall not be deterred!

So...does anyone else want to dive the U-boat this year? And/or does anyone have any advice about how best to arrange it?

Thanks in advance!

CDD...

I've dove the U-352 with Olympus/Discovery/Atlantic Beach Diving...and Diver Down...with the two last operators no longer in business...

NC is always a crap shoot...you can get lucky...go down for 10 days...and dive any day you want to get out...or...you can go down for ten days...and get out once if your lucky...

We always stayed at Fishermans Inn on the Atlantic Beach Causeway...the hotel is now owned by Al Voight...the former owner of Atlantic Beach Diving...he may still have his six pack...Mutiny II...but Olympus and Discovery are far less expensive...there is lots of local accomodation along Atlantic Beach...

The Fishermans Inn accomodates lots of divers...and has good gear washing facilities...plastic tubs...lots of water...take some cord you can use as a clothes line...and all your gear hangers...

The last two times we went down we dove with Discovery in Beaufort...which is just a couple miles north of Morehead City on HWY 70...Olympus and Discovery are both excellent...

Try if you can to get down before hurricane season...there's not as much interest in the U-352 as there used to be...so plan ahead...it's the farthest out of all the popular wrecks...approx. a three and a half hour run...so it's the most likely to get blown off if the weather gets snotty...

Best...

Warren

CDD...

I've dove the U-352 with Olympus/Discovery/Atlantic Beach Diving...and Diver Down...with the two last operators no longer in business...

NC is always a crap shoot...you can get lucky...go down for 10 days...and dive any day you want to get out...or...you can go down for ten days...and get out once if your lucky...

We always stayed at Fishermans Inn on the Atlantic Beach Causeway...the hotel is now owned by Al Voight...the former owner of Atlantic Beach Diving...he may still have his six pack...Mutiny II...but Olympus and Discovery are far less expensive...there is lots of local accomodation along Atlantic Beach...

The Fishermans Inn accomodates lots of divers...and has good gear washing facilities...plastic tubs...lots of water...take some cord you can use as a clothes line...and all your gear hangers...

The last two times we went down we dove with Discovery in Beaufort...which is just a couple miles north of Morehead City on HWY 70...Olympus and Discovery are both excellent...

Try if you can to get down before hurricane season...there's not as much interest in the U-352 as there used to be...so plan ahead...it's the farthest out of all the popular wrecks...approx. a three and a half hour run...so it's the most likely to get blown off if the weather gets snotty...

Best...

Warren

Thanks, friendo!

We go to the submarine quite often when folks request it. Being a 6 pack gives each customer a greater voice in the chosen site. Feel free to give me a call to talk about. Check out our website first.
www.tortugacharters.net

I look forward to hearing from you.

Captain James
252-646-9644

I am looking for a buddy(ies) to dive the wreck of the U-352 this season. I am also looking for advice on how to arrange such a dive (which dive charter/shop, etc.)

Long story short: I’m an avid wreck diver and WW2 history junkie who’s been trying to dive the U-352 for years. Every year, some unforeseen event torpedoes my plans (pun intended). This year, my NC-based friend found out he is moving within the next few weeks and thus won’t be able to do the dive this season.

I live in Philadelphia and will be driving down with all my gear. I really, really want to see the U-boat this year. I shall not be deterred!

So...does anyone else want to dive the U-boat this year? And/or does anyone have any advice about how best to arrange it?

Thanks in advance!

I plan on diving it July timeframe....Use Olympus, last year i tried to dive it and Tropical Storm Charlie kind of got in the way so ended up diving other wrecks.

You can often book with Olympus and I imagine Discovery as well without a dive buddy and they will buddy you up with someone else onboard. My wife and I have allowed a third to join us numerous times.

Usually most of the boat is on Nitrox 30 so it helps if you are too.

If anyone is interested in joining our Labor Day Atlantic coast wreck diving trip, please reach out to me directly. I am not sure how many spots are still available at this time.

Please note, obviously, that this is deep water wreck diving. Also, if you aren't a tech diver (I'm not), then you need a pony bottle.

IMO, the best way to dive the U-352 is to get at least 4 buddies, and hire the six pack boat from Discovery, letting Leroy the captain know that you want to dive the sub. If the conditions allow, he’ll get you to the sub, and he’ll get there quickly and early. He leaves at the crack of dawn before any other boat gets out, and he can read the conditions better than anyone.

Your chances improve significantly if you can dive midweek and book on short notice when there is a favorable marine forecast. I got to the sub 5 years ago on a perfect day, with flat seas, good visibility, no current and (I kid you not) a pod of dolphins that greeted our boat when we dropped anchor. We were the only 6 divers on the sub. It was epic. But NC diving is a roll of the dice, the conditions can turn on a dime.

Back
Top Bottom