I look Different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I Look Different

Force Fins look different. I remember when I first saw
them I thought those fins have to do something special
because they look so different from any fin I have
ever seen. It is 2008 and Force Fin still gets the
same reaction. What made me first choose Force Fins is
that I thought about them and sometimes a thought is
all it takes to step forward and try something
different.

Divers are interested in Force Fins, but I have found
that there are two interest groups of new Force Fin
users. There is a group of divers in the world who
really want to try them and they search until they can
get their hands on a pair.

The other group has an interest, but wait until they
see someone using them that they respect or when they
are in a safe environment where they feel they have
the freedom to experiment. We all have to admit there
is a lot of peer pressure in the diving world with
patches, deepest this and longest that and I believe
that sometimes that pressure effects divers decisions
on what gear they buy.

I read a lot of customer feedback sent to Force Fin
and I would have to say 65% of the people who buy
Force Fins buy them because someone let them try them
on a boat or at a dive site where people were using
Force Fins.

I can understand that with a product that looks
nothing like anything else in it?s class it takes a
lot more confidence and personal will to experiment,
try something different and go against the NORM. Force
Fin understands this and that is only one reason why
they offer a 30 day money back policy when fins are purchased from
ForceFin.com or by calling 1-800-FIN SWIM. If you are lucky enough to
have a Force Fin charter dealer nearby, they are offered demonstration
model Force Fins for your trial use. The other reason is Force Fin
wants you to get in the water more than once and try the fins and not
worry about getting them scratched, they want honest
feedback from people who have really tried the fins.
If you like Force Fins great if not Bob and the Force
Fin team are just happy that you tried them more than
once and had the experience. In the immortal words of
Jimi Hendrix ?ARE YOU EXPERIENCED??
orff_phototog.jpg

Force Fin carries more than one model of fin and there
has been many a post about different models and I am
sure that there will be many more. I have my favorite,
but as a diving professional I always want to have the
Pro Force Fin with me. It has the Original Force Fin
design, but made out of stiffer material. It is the
original Force Fin design that I love when doing any
commercial diving. I get in and out of them with ease,
stay comfortable all day long and never have to worry
about tears, break down from the ultraviolet rays from
the sun and I always get the Force Fin look from
tenders, riggers, captains and fellow divers wondering
and thinking about why these fins are so different.

I simply say, ?Have you ever really looked at a fish
fin working underwater??
kevingurr1.jpg

In my case it was cramping which got me to buy a set. I got them off of Ebay at a very low price, maybe because they are "shocking pink" in color. Sorry folks, I couldn't care less about what other divers think about what is "normal" or customary. "If it works, use it, and may the rest of the world be damned", is my theory in life.

Garrobo,
You are absolutely right there is another category of divers who choose Force Fin due cramping problems they have experienced with other fins. I have also seen a large number of divers who choose Force Fins after they have had surgery on knees and ankles and are looking for that transfer of energy to the leg and not the knee or ankle that Force Fin is famous for!
The Truth About Dive Fins

The Truth about Swim Fins

I did two dives today and really like the fact I had no cramps and my knees felt great.
Diving should be comfortable and pain free.

I normally use a JetFin, and a friend of mine let me try his Force Fins this weekend.

They really have some power, but you have to seriously re-learn everything you know about kicking.

I found it difficult to make precise positioning movements because it seemed like I wasn't getting much "feedback" from the fin. My friend said that you get used to it after awhile, and don't even notice.

Great feedback! What model did you try? The re-learning is right because the Force Fin works for you - not against and not feeling the resistance is new. You have mental and physical conditioning and it is in your mind and muscles. Your friend is right - I usually say you need 4 dives to form an opinion, but it looks one try and you already have one. Thanks again for your feedback! How was the Vis?

Great feedback! What model did you try? The re-learning is right because the Force Fin works for you - not against and not feeling the resistance is new. You have mental and physical conditioning and it is in your mind and muscles. Your friend is right - I usually say you need 4 dives to form an opinion, but it looks one try and you already have one. Thanks again for your feedback! How was the Vis?

They were the Pro Force Fin, I think. He bought them because normal fins bother his knees.

I think I'll probably have to get a pair (but Jet black, for sure... his were bright yellow)

The Vis was about 8'-10', which is pretty good for DFW :)

Okay, I did it..... I saw my buddy in his funny lil force fins, and I just love new toys. He knows this and was prepared for me to completely take them away from him for two dives. He had to use my twin jets.... I loved his fins. So much that I went home and ordered a pair from Bob's site. It has been aalmost two weeks and I am watching the mail. I live in Kuwait, so it takes a while to get things usually.
It never occurred to me that I was always in pain... I shattered my left ankle(still have bone fragments floating and a detatched ligament), and I have no cartiledge in either knee(gymnastics..), but I have a high pain threshold and just suck it up. I always have, no big deal. Until I realized that, when I used the force fins, I didn't have nearly the usual ongoing pain. Wow. Who knew this was supposed to be like this? Way cool....

I also have a friend who had to have her leg amputated below the knee. She is heartbroken because she can't find any fins that work. She does not have the money to burn on specialty fin prosthesis. I wonder if the force fin would help her? She could attach it to her prosthetic foot.... but will her movemnt be okay? Something to think about...

Zen

They were the Pro Force Fin, I think. He bought them because normal fins bother his knees.

I think I'll probably have to get a pair (but Jet black, for sure... his were bright yellow)

The Vis was about 8'-10', which is pretty good for DFW :)

Trust me, the Yellows are by far the best. When I was living (and diving) in Hawaii, whenever I wore my Yellow Pros I had a school of Blue Tangs, Convict Tangs, and Yellow Tangs hanging out near my fins. I have even had a Monk Seal and a Honu (aka Green Sea Turtle) check them out. My blue TanDeltas never had a reaction like that.

Figure if you going to wear crazy looking fins like these you might as well get them in a bright color, not to mention it makes it easier to spot/identify you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom