I know I'm not the most tech savvy person

Is fairybasslet the most tech savvy person on our board?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
But imagine my surprise this morning when the display on the radio of my rental car not only showed what station I was listening to, but what song was playing and the artist. When did that feature start up? Is that a satellite radio thing?

probably just RDS . . . been around for a while not widely used. . . :D

Did that clear it up for you?? :)

My car came with a radio that does this . . .only one station around me actually transmits song data, so it's not all that useful in this area. Is kind of neat when it's used though.

jhbryaniv:
probably just RDS . . . been around for a while not widely used. . . :D

Did that clear it up for you?? :)
No. What is RDS?

fairybasslet:
No. What is RDS?
wiki:
dio Data System, or RDS, is a standard from the European Broadcasting Union for sending small amounts of digital information using conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system standardises several types of information transmitted, including time and station identification. RDS is standard in Europe since the early 90s, but less so in North America.

Radio Broadcast Data System is the official name used for the U.S. version of RDS, though the "RDS" name seems to be at least as common in usage. The two standards are nearly identical, with only slight differences, mainly in which numbers are assigned to each of 31 musical and other programme formats the RBDS system can identify. RBDS was approved by the NRSC, RDS by the EBU.

Both use a 57kHz subcarrier to carry data at 1187.5 bits per second. The 57kHz was chosen for being the third harmonic (3×) of the pilot tone for FM stereo, so it would not cause interference or intermodulation with it, or with the stereo difference signal at 38kHz (2×). The data format utilises error correction. RDS defines many features (see below), including how private (in-house) or other undefined features (such as differential GPS) can be "packaged" in unused programme groups.

Basically just sends the song title artist and station info over the air waves to be displayed on your radio if it is equipped to accept it. . .

I get info on all of my songs from XM Satellite Radio.

BTW, I think you have underestimated your "savvy", so I put up a poll! :D

If it wasn't for the cat avatar I would have voted "OMG...." :D

dogs rule!!

:rofl3: :rofl3: Too funny Pete. Thanks for the laugh. You have NO idea how much I needed that today.:rofl3: And I have to admit, when I clicked on my CP and saw that my post was a poll, I started thinking to myself: OMG, did I make my post a poll by mistake???? How do I undo that??? :rofl3: :rofl3:

Well,

It's obvious that there are a ton of envious less tech savvy people on this board who just keep trying to "dis" you. Of course, since this is a PUBLIC poll, we can see just WHO you are! :D

NetDoc:
Well,

It's obvious that there are a ton of envious less tech savvy people on this board who just keep trying to "dis" you. Of course, since this is a PUBLIC poll, we can see just WHO you are! :D
Yes, I have little faith in myself. Took me forever to figure out how to burn a CD. I humbly thank you an El Orans for your faith my tech savvyness, savvy?

Back
Top Bottom