I just read a thread a remembered that I need a dive light, too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I replaced it by purchasing (x3) Dorcy Penetrator 220 from Pirhana.

Great, now you can signal your buddy. The Dorcy's hot spot is like a laser-pointer due to great optics. The ON/OFF switch can't really break and the dynamic parts of the switch cost almost nothing to replace. Also, it also doesn't turn itself on. Great light and you can by two of them for $84.00.

Also, it also doesn't turn itself on

That hasn't been my experience, and in fact, that's the only complaint I have against the light. You have to be VERY careful about where you leave the twist-on head, or the light will come on at about 30 feet. My Full Cave instructor was very frustrated with my inability to note that my backup light was on, which it almost always was . . .

That hasn't been my experience, and in fact, that's the only complaint I have against the light. You have to be VERY careful about where you leave the twist-on head, or the light will come on at about 30 feet. My Full Cave instructor was very frustrated with my inability to note that my backup light was on, which it almost always was . . .

Thanks for the heads-up. I've never noticed that, but it may be that I just haven't noticed. I've got one in my hand, and yes, there is a tiny bit of play in the head. At a quarter turn off, when I push on the head it lights (like my Photon Torpedos and similar ones do). At a half turn off, I cannot make it light. Maybe mine are from a later improved batch? Anyway thanks for bringing it up. Everyone with twist-on switches (who, like me, may not be paying proper attention) should probably check this.

My personal preference, but here are several choices in order from shortest to longest in size (they all have the same relative diameter, 1.4-1.5")

Shop Retail | name - lumens rating;length

$80 | Intova Mini - 130-220 lumens*depending on model*; 4.9" in length
$60 | Inotva Compact - 130 lumens; 5.5"
$80 | Intova Tactical - 130-220 lumens *depending on model*; 6"
$80 | Dorcy Penetrater II - 220 lumens; 6.5" length

Online prices are usually $20 cheaper. Piranhadivemfg is having a sale on Dorcy's right now for about $43.

Mini has a wide 53degree angle beam and will light up a wide area in front of you, Tactical has a smaller 43degree wide beam.
The Compact and Penetrater have a narrow beam; Compact 12 degrees, Penetrater slightly larger.

Penetrater is a twist-on-off light. Intova's use a magnetic tail push switch and have 4 modes (off, 100%, 30%, strobe) Strobe is activated only by holding the switch down.

The Mini and Tactical take 2 CR123A batteries. Penetrater and Compact take 6and 3AAA batteries respectively.
If you want to signal with your torches you'll want a narrow beam (allows for easier distinction). The Penetrator is better for signaling than the Compact during light and dusk hours, because of it's brightness. At night both choices are more than enough.
If you want to light up an area then the Mini and Tactical are good choices.

During daylight hours in murky conditions, 220 lumens stands out pretty well where as the 130 is pretty vague.

You have to be VERY careful about where you leave the twist-on head .

OK, I have often wondered about the two flat spots on the Dorcy grip and now I'm happy to have them there to gauge how far I've turned the head off; with the light on and my thumb on the flat spot on top, I have to make a half turn, or until my thumb is on the bottom, to prevent it from turning itself on. This is fairly precise and I likes it. YMMV

Thanks for the heads-up. I've never noticed that, but it may be that I just haven't noticed. I've got one in my hand, and yes, there is a tiny bit of play in the head. At a quarter turn off, when I push on the head it lights (like my Photon Torpedos and similar ones do). At a half turn off, I cannot make it light. Maybe mine are from a later improved batch? Anyway thanks for bringing it up. Everyone with twist-on switches (who, like me, may not be paying proper attention) should probably check this.
With less than a minute of prep, this is an absolute non-issue.

I have a twist-on backup light. Here's what I did:
At max depth of a fairly "deep" dive, turn the backup light ON, then turn it OFF.
Once you surface from your dive, make a mark with an ink pen on the turnable bezel and another mark across from it on the light housing.
Now you have an unambiguous visual indicator of the OFF position.

With less than a minute of prep, this is an absolute non-issue.

I have a twist-on backup light. Here's what I did:
At max depth of a fairly "deep" dive, turn the backup light ON, then turn it OFF.
Once you surface from your dive, make a mark with an ink pen on the turnable bezel and another mark across from it on the light housing.
Now you have an unambiguous visual indicator of the OFF position.

I thought of that, but I've already done the equivalent in less than thirty seconds, I'm still dry, I don't need an an ink pen (or a boat, or clothes), and it's still a non-issue.:)

I had the 42degree Intova and although was very good when diving clear tropical waters at night, it was no good when vis dropped and hopeless for day diving due to its wide beam. Settled on an Mb-Sub X1-VB had the best of both worlds as its focusable from 3degrees to 25degrees. Its a very well built small light with a magnetic collar to switch on and off which isn't affected by pressure, cannot leak and is easily operated with one hand.. Would recommend but its above your price point at around 180euros. The narrow Intovas are also very good and within your price range. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom