I just found a bag of stuff in my attic.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this is relevant, but it says C.D.E on the back of the open heel and the closed heel fins. On the small Closed heel Duckfin it says BEUCHAT-SUB

Not sure if this is relevant, but it says C.D.E on the back of the open heel and the closed heel fins. On the small Closed heel Duckfin it says BEUCHAT-SUB

It is. Beuchat Sub is a French underwater equipment manufacturer with a long pedigree. Original owner Georges Beuchat patented the Jet Fin, which Scubapro bought up and released its famous and enduring open-heel version of the design. CDE may stand for China Diving Enterprise Co, a Taiwanese company whose current fins can be viewed at cdmax

Nemrod Delta regulator from Nemrod 1972 catalogue:
Nemrod_Delta_1972.jpg

As for your "Neptune" fins, I found the following picture a year or so ago:
00020_big_CDE-814-2.jpg

Compare it with your "Neptune" fins below:
21076478_10212409364420593_172119552_n-jpg-423806-jpg.423842.jpg

The logos look similar, don't they? If so, the provenance is indeed China Diving Enterprise (CDE) in Taiwan and the fins won't be very old, although they are all-rubber.

Last edited:
It is. Beuchat Sub is a French underwater equipment manufacturer with a long pedigree. Original owner Georges Beuchat patented the Jet Fin, which Scubapro bought up and released its famous and enduring open-heel version of the design. CDE may stand for China Diving Enterprise Co, a Taiwanese company whose current fins can be viewed at cdmax

Nemrod Delta regulator from Nemrod 1972 catalogue:
View attachment 423854

As for your "Neptune" fins, I found the following picture a year or so ago:
View attachment 423856
Compare it with your "Neptune" fins below:
View attachment 423857
The logos look similar, don't they? If so, the provenance is indeed China Diving Enterprise (CDE) in Taiwan and the fins won't be very old, although they are all-rubber.
I got some more info on the stuff. I found a DLRG BONN sign in the vest. So I called up my mother who's German and apparently it's my mother's stuff lol. She just never realised she still had it. She used to dive for the DLRG in Germany and used to do alot of stuff rescue-diving in the Rhine it the late 70's and early 80's. That explains the 15mm suit lol. She hasn't dove in over 30 years so they have to be from early to mid 80's I guess? She couldn't help me on the rest of the gear except that she said the nemrod was a piece of **** and the other ones should still be functional.

I'll leave further discussion of the regulators to others, as I don't use SCUBA when I dive.

It's perfectly possible that the fins are from the 70s or 80s, particularly as they are all-rubber over against more recent composite models with plastic blades. There's very little online about it, but both Malaysia and Taiwan would have been the target countries at the time for the outsourced manufacture of basic diving gear such as masks and fins and I think we've already established that "China Diving Enterprise" (CDE) of Taiwan was the likely manufacturer of your fins.

It's good to hear about the provenance of your diving gear discovery as it not only helps to date the stuff but also provides interesting anecdotal supporting detail. Fascinating that it belonged to your mother when she served in the Deutsche Lebens-Rettungs-Gesellschaft on the Rhine back then.

La Spirotechnique functioned somewhat like the European end of US Divers. I found the first mention of an Aquilon regulator in a Spiro price list of 1963, no mention of it in earler catalogues. "Breveté" is French for "patented", by the way.

London's premier sporting goods store Lillywhites first placed the following ad in the March-April 1967 issue of "Triton", the magazine of the British Sub Aqua Club:

View attachment 423841

I also found the Aquilon in a 1969 Spiro catalogue, but as I don't have a complete set of their catalogues, I can't say how long the regulator remained available. I can't see an Aquilon in the US Divers catalogues I have access to
]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David,

There were two models of the Aquilon which were imported by US Divers for evaluation and testing in the early 1960s.
Both regulator's were difficult breathers and needed considerable improvement. They were modified for the American market One became the US Divers Calypso and the other the built proof Conshelf .

Of note and great interest is the hoses clamp attachment for the hoses . I was informed that method was a preferred method by JYCs Calypso crew, but never verified... it is probably too late now .

I was doing some contract work for US Divers in Santa Ana at the time and ended up with both models to dive, I was not required to return so they were packed away and are still packed away. Time to unpack and place on e bay.

I have also packed up my Lilywhite's dive catalogs-never thought I would ever need them, But I do have a 1967 German HOZE catalog in which the Aquion is listed on page 46 and it the subsequent pages Healthways and SCUBA pro.

Sam Miller,111

Just a footnote to David Wilson and Sam Miller postings the "Aquilon" Regulator was in "Spiros" catalogues from 1963 through to 1976 AQUILON WITH SPG TAKE OFF 1963- 1970.jpg AQUILON.jpg4.jpg

john68

Hello everyone,

I found a bunch of regulators and fins in my attic, Sadly I'm not allowed to dive due to my cystic fibrosis giving me a permanently clogged slime track, so I will not be using any of the gear I found, except maybe the fins since the rubber seems to be in top condition.
I was wondering if people have heard of these brands and/or could date them? I don't plan on selling them since they are probably from a family member that has passed.

So I found two regulators saying:
LA spirotechnique - Aquilon
Brevete 3GDG
Cousteau - Gagnan

One regulator saying
Nemrod - DELTA

one without text, just the weird s shaped logo you see in the pictures

One vest by Seemann-sub it says

Two pair of fins by the brand named neptune.
One says Duckfin the other says nothing

and one pair of SEBAK saver 111 fins.

one knife from AQUATA - made in Japan;

With kind regards,

Joris
The Mecki fins look to me to be hand-made blades for long distance open water finswimming. They were known as "bi-fins" in CMAS circles, and had a fiberglass blade made from printed circuit boaRd fiberglass which had some layers removed to customize the blade's flexibility.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, Finswimming Director
Underwater Society of America, 1980s

I got some more info on the stuff. I found a DLRG BONN sign in the vest. So I called up my mother who's German and apparently it's my mother's stuff lol. She just never realised she still had it. She used to dive for the DLRG in Germany and used to do alot of stuff rescue-diving in the Rhine it the late 70's and early 80's. That explains the 15mm suit lol. She hasn't dove in over 30 years so they have to be from early to mid 80's I guess? She couldn't help me on the rest of the gear except that she said the nemrod was a piece of **** and the other ones should still be functional.

Your mom sounds awesome. I'd like to hear her dive stories.

Cool! An "older" Mk-II/Mk-III? in DIN

I've actually asked my mother about the scubapro and she told me it's the last reg she used for ''regular diving''. Apparently she would use full face masks for under water work(bolting and fixing stuff). It's supposed to be an mk5 according to her? She said it was really expensive when she bought it and it's the last reg she ever bought (1978). She also told me she should have a double hose mistral !and and some old 1970's drysuit lying around. Will post it as soon as I find them.

It's supposed to be an mk5

Well, keep looking for the MK-5...

these are (vintage) MK-2

upload_2017-9-2_7-32-31.png

MK-3
upload_2017-9-2_7-36-15.png

this is a MK-5
upload_2017-9-2_7-33-54.png

unless you have amazing photoshop skills, the reg you have is a SPEC MK-2 or MK-3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom