I have to use 37lb of weight is 44lb BCD lift enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention a new semi dry wetsuit can be a beast until it is compressed a few times , plus they trap air very easily

I'd bet a dollar the OP had a fair bit of air trapped in that suit at the time the instructor was adding that last 7#.

5' 11". 200#. In an 8mm XL semi-dry. 37# really sounds like a lot! I take barely over half that in an XXL 7mm.

Not to mention a new semi dry wetsuit can be a beast until it is compressed a few times , plus they trap air very easily

This is a good observation. New wetsuits are most buoyant. They lose buoyancy (and insulation/thickness) the more they are used.

The depth and frequency of diving dictate the speed of unrecovered compression. The type of neoprene also influences the effect. I've found that the more elastic and stretchy materials (most desirable for fit and comfort) compress down most quickly.

I've found that a 3mm compresses down to about 1mm over a year of use... but I do technical dives and I'm in the water most days. I bought a 5mm recently... a few weeks of deep dives and I've already dropped 6lbs to sink it.

I don't see it so much as a "get a BP/W" post as I do asking if the OP has considered the option ... and I think it's a legitimate post when put that way.

There's value in considering all options ... because no matter what piece of gear you're considering, it comes with benefits and drawbacks. Before purchasing, they should be considered. In the New Diver's Forum I think that's a useful point to raise, since newer divers typically only otherwise get exposed to whatever equipment their local dive shop happens to carry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That was the intent of my post, I saw many post off original topic like why so much weight. The only reason I mentioned a BPW was my wife had the very same issue and was very opposed to using anything but her SP Jacket BC but after she tried my Edge Back inflate she said it was not as bad as she thought then we both tried a BP and wing and it was nice to have the weight distributed. So I was just trying to give an option not an opinion. I can dive any style BC now that I have more experience and have a great time diving, just wanted to pass on the experiences of my wife and I.

And to the OP sorry if I did not answer you question directly I did see that a few people already answered it, I was more looking at some of your replies to the weight and was only pointing out an option for weight distribution if you need that much weight. Have fun and dive the gear you like and are comfortable in.

I'd bet a dollar the OP had a fair bit of air trapped in that suit at the time the instructor was adding that last 7#.

5' 11". 200#. In an 8mm XL semi-dry. 37# really sounds like a lot! I take barely over half that in an XXL 7mm.
You're certainly right. After the first dive, I got the advice to try to get the rid of possible trapped air (the same way as a drysuit) and I can tell it made a difference. But I did not redo the buoyancy check after that.
Learning so much in this forum, Thank you all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom