I have to use 37lb of weight is 44lb BCD lift enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely need to do a proper weight check. I am almost 3 bills and in a 7mm I use just about 24lbs on an AL80.

Thank you all for the replies.
I use an 8mm semi-dry wet suit and started with 30lb and the instructor had to add the 7lb so I become neutral with an empty BCD and when I exhale.
I could be doing something wrong since I understand from most of the comment that this is very unusual.

I have seen a new XL 7mm 2-piece that had over 30 lb of buoyancy so you might not be as overweighted as some might believe, particularly iif you are in salt water. Unfortunately, many instructors find it easier to add more weight than to work on technique. Because a 44 lb wing may not actually provide that much lift, you may want to get some more experieence before you commit to it. But it should be OK.

Definitely need to do a proper weight check. I am almost 3 bills and in a 7mm I use just about 24lbs on an AL80.

... are you diving salt water?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

37 lbs! I've never heard of such a thing. Could you please inform us on your weight/height? Are you diving fresh or salt?

37 lbs of lead isn't that uncommon for newer (male) divers in Puget Sound, given the exposure gear requirements for diving here.

I wear 33 lbs, when taking my weight harness and backplate into consideration ... and at a bit over 3800 dives I suspect I've got my weighting pretty well dialed in by now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have seen a new XL 7mm 2-piece that had over 30 lb of buoyancy so you might not be as overweighted as some might believe, particularly iif you are in salt water.

Freediving for Abalone, been doing it for decades, in my XL 7mm farmer john I need 27# to be neutral at 15'. When tested, I found that my SCUBA jacket had 5 or 6# of positive buoyancy even though I insured the BC was empty. Add in the weight needed for diving an AL 80 and the number is easily in the realm of possibility. I used 34# when diving that configuration to 60' or greater, I had to duck dive (which I always do anyway), and the crush of the neoprene would not rebound fast enough to affect my safety stop, much shallower and it would on the first dive. (The suit seems to regain its buoyancy overnight, but I have no data and usually do several dives in a day rather than just one)

I am sure that over time the OP could loose some of that ballast because I don't see the majority of instructors taking the time to properly weight their students and/or training their students to weight themselves properly. I recommend the OP read the threads on ScubaBoard about proper weighting.

Yes the Zeagle Ranger with 44lb lift capacity will work, I won't get picky because I dive a 40# lift Oxycheq wing.

Good Luck

Bob

37 lbs of lead isn't that uncommon for newer (male) divers in Puget Sound, given the exposure gear requirements for diving here.

I wear 33 lbs, when taking my weight harness and backplate into consideration ... and at a bit over 3800 dives I suspect I've got my weighting pretty well dialed in by now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I surely trust that you do have it dialed in. From my tropical diving only perspective, I am glad that my surprise is being introduced to new knowledge.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Of course this being the internet, I do have to suggest that you do a proper weight check at the end of your dive with 300PSI just to make sure.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Joking of course

as Bob says, up here 35-40lbs isn't uncommon, I use 40lbs myself when teaching OW.....

I am sure that over time the OP could loose some of that ballast because I don't see the majority of instructors taking the time to properly weight their students and/or training their students to weight themselves properly. I recommend the OP read the threads on ScubaBoard about proper weighting.
Even when instructors do take the time ... which I suspect happens more often than they'll ever get credit for ... newer divers are going to be able to shed weight as they gain experience. There are a number of reasons why, which include improved technique (which takes practice no matter how good your OW instruction is), refinements in equipment configuration (rental equipment isn't ideal for weight optimization), and physiology (as we get more comfortable, we tend to relax and breathe more evenly, which reduces the need to compensate for the tendency of new divers to retain air in their lungs).

There's the saying that "fear floats", and it's the rare new diver who isn't fighting against their own survival instincts as they rewire their brain to consider that being underwater is "normal" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom