I have no idea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattymatt

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and trying to decide on a regulator. These are my two choices, so please evaluate these two (2) only and give me your recommendations. I will be diving primarily warm water and New Jersey in the summer.

1) Mares V16 Proton
or
2) ScubaPro MK16/S550

Here at work we use the Protons as our instructor/staff regs and I've got to say that I've had no complaints. Nice low profile, good performance despite some teething issues when they were first introduced. My only complaint is that due to their small size, exhaust bubbles will wind up smack dab in your field of view while stationary. I've dove it down to 49F with no problems. Doing our annuals on our first and seconds stages, will be doing the Proton in the next couple of days.

Now that I've sung it's praises.... why these regs? Price? I would recommend that you give the MR22 Abyss a look too. Sure it's a bit more ($140 difference on LP), but from where I'm sitting you don't get much better reviews than this:

http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55

mattymatt:
I am new to diving and trying to decide on a regulator. These are my two choices, so please evaluate these two (2) only and give me your recommendations. I will be diving primarily warm water and New Jersey in the summer.

1) Mares V16 Proton
or
2) ScubaPro MK16/S550

Since we can only comment on the two you've chosen for your list, I guess I'll have to refrain... :(

May I ask what caused you to have only these two as your final choice? What caught your eye about them? Price? Quality?

I personally dive Mares regs, and own many different models including the Proton. I actually prefer the discontinued Akros model due to its wider exhaust tee and its superior bubble dispersion. The Proton, like the S550 does suffer the woes of a tiny tee. Manufacturers seem to lean more toward the aesthetics rather than to the resultant nuisance.

While I have great reviews of my Mares regs they do have the drawback (?) of not having an user adjustable breathing effort control. Personally, I set mine to have a cracking effort of 1.25" of water and have no complaints. Yes, an adjustable second stage can be adjusted to have an inhalation effort bordering on free flowing, and some divers prefer that. Mares regs are robust, simple to service, and are easily found throughout the entire world. I've been using mine for many years, and have NEVER had a problem that has kept me from making a dive.

Okay, now to the ScubaPro. The MK16 is very similar in construction to the Mares first stages, being of a diaphragm design. More than half of my dives are made in cold water that can become silt laden with but one errant fin stroke. I prefer the sealed features of a diaphragm over that of a piston design, even though I began diving back in the 70's with a balanced piston design (US Divers Calypso VI). The S550 is also a very well designed second stage. Let's face facts, pure and simple...The ScubaPro is another fine choice.

Oh, well...either one is more than fine for 90% of all of the dives and divers in world. I use Mares because I know the design like the back of my hand, and can literally rebuild/tune them to take care of all of my diving needs whether in a cave, wreck, or tropical reef.

My suggestion boils down to this. Buy the one that you really want, as you won't go wrong with either.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I agree with Greg, Personally i use a Mares Akos also.. (bummer they discontinued it). and yes the Proton does send its bubbles in your face.. between the 2 i would go with the scuba pro on that issue.. From the 2 you mentioned, looks like you are trying to get good equipment and not sell your soul.. no problem there.. because i would say that all the regs in general on the market now days are very good.. yes a few have cons and people have different opinions.. if you used a rental reg and it felt good and breathed fine for you .. then get a new one similiar to the rental. Adjustables are nice , but I've seen people constantly adjusting them trying to go just a little better.. .. my reg has been adjusted very lightly and free flows alot when it THINKS about being upside down. I've dont mind because that is how i wanted it, my personal preference..
When I first started diving (a few decades ago)I used a USD conshelf xiv, a few adjustments and it breathed fine, it gave me the air and i was happy.. now these newer regs these days are really fine tuned so that most of them just about breath for you str8 out of the box.. in my opinion.. alot of the high dollar regs are mainly hipe.. so dont worry about what the other people may say about your equipment.. if your happy with it then so be it.. the main thing is that you enjoy your diving. , but you did right inquiring from other divers about regs.. now you have some food for thought.

Cliff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom