I have never heard of a team doing this ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Is this a common practice? I read the article below and had to read it again. For the benefot of the forum readers, I highlighted the "interesting part" in red. Has anyone heard of this being done before? If so, there may be a need to add a new section to "ice diving" protocols ...

Vehicle comes out in pieces
By BECKY MARTINEZ

PAULDING, OH -- When the Allen County cold water dive team and the Lima City bomb squad came to assist the Paulding County Sheriff's Office with removing a car from the Auglaize River, quite a crowd gathered.

According to the Paulding County Sheriff's office, Craig Dobbelaere, 9954 Road 179, on Wednesday drove a vehicle onto the ice behind his residence; it broke through at about 3:30 a.m. that day.

Sgt. Scott Nolan with the Allen County dive team said the Environmental Protection Agency wanted the vehicle removed as quickly as possible. Also, "The local sheriff wanted it removed because there are a lot of snowmobilers in that area and he was afraid the car would create a harmful condition for them."

Friday was the earliest the agencies could get together. Along with the dive team, bomb squad and sheriff's office, the Oakwood Fire and EMS was there to assist. Standing on the sidelines was media including two television stations and about 35 curious watchers.

Nolan said the Lima bomb squad set off about 30 pounds of explosives on a first attempt. The second time they reset six charges around the vehicle to get the ice to break up around the car.

"The exciting part was watching the Lima Police Department blow it (the ice) up. We've done plenty of cold water training and activities. Blowing the ice around it was the neat part," said Nolan.

He continued, "The car received some damage from the explosives, but most of the damage was done when it was actually towed out. It literally ripped into pieces. The vehicle probably had four-six inches of ice inside. The doors were left open so when we pulled it out, it bent the doors all the way forward. The support column in the rear of the car broke where the chain was attached. It took the rear cargo hatch and frame, all the way to the bumper. The tow truck driver flipped it to its top ... it was completely destroyed."

According to Nolan, alcohol may have been a factor in how the vehicle got on the ice.

Four members of the bomb squad and seven members of the dive team helped at the scene.

"The Oakwood fire department had personnel there that helped with the ropes and other gear we needed. They were really helpful," said Nolan. "We were at the scene for about six hours yesterday. It was cold."

There were no injuries and from what Nolan understands, there was no evidence of fluids spilling. The EPA and the Paulding County Emergency Management Agency were both aware of the situation.

Harrow said Friday that no charges have been filed. The matter remains under investigation.

Sounds like the car was entombed in ice! Sounds like a good idea to me, but that's just me. :D

Hey, doesn't the bomb squad usually disarm bombs, not make them? I'd hate to have to call the fire department out there. :wink:

According to Nolan, alcohol may have been a factor in how the vehicle got on the ice.

It sounds like alcohol may have been a factor in how they got it out. :D What a fuster cluck. I wonder why they didn't just mark it and leave it until the ice melted?

Gary D.

If you drop one through the ice in Minnesota, you have 48 hours to get it out. After that it is $400 per hour it remains in the lake. The DNR claims pollution for the fee. All i know is my buddy and i each get $200 plus mileage to show up and a $100 every hour after that just to hook up. Every one i've seen come out from the ice has plenty of beer cans floating in the car.

Which investigation? How the car got there or how it was removed?

BladesRobinson:
Harrow said Friday that no charges have been filed. The matter remains under investigation.

was the car only partially submerged? that would explain how it could be considered a hazzard to the snowmobilers, and why they used explosives to remove the car from the ice.

You'd think that using explosives around the car could cause more environmental damage then just leaving it till it thaws ie - all the 'peices' and likely fluid leakage as well.

Sounds like the bomb guys had fun anyways. They're a different bunch to say the least - our guys probably blow more things up than they diffuse (intentionally of course)

Lol... I live in Lima in Allen County and this is the first I heard about it...

Unfortunately, this is par for the course on how things are handled around here. :shakehead

Hopefully, there was more thought put in to it than it sounds like...

eckybay:
Hopefully, there was more thought put in to it than it sounds like...

I'm sure that there was a lot more thought put into it than it sounds like... remember, you're getting the "reporter" end of things, and there's most certainly some discrepencies there. :)

That said... I used to love doing trainings on the fire department. One at the top of my "favorites" list is certainly the dual training with the bomb squad. Several years ago, we blew up 2 cars with C4... it was supposed to show us exactly how powerful the stuff was. Well... lets just say that the "safe zone" was NOT the "safe zone". LOL I don't know exactly how far away we were, probably something like 200 or 250 feet (can't remember that exactly... and the cars were in the "pit"... it was a long time ago). I'll just say... I think everyone ran faster than they've EVER ran before! And... we completely understand the "power" of the C4! Luckily nobody was hurt... but scrapnel and tires were falling all around us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom