I have lots of questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netboy79

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to the board and sport, and pretty much the whole genre for scuba. But I have long been a fan of ocean wild life. It is just lately, i dont know why that I have seriously thought of taking up scuba as a hobby. I have lots of questions, but I will start off with just one at a time.

1. Weight belt...this fancy contraption helps bring you down right? then how do you get back up, dump it? If so, isnt that kinda expensive?

Anyhow, that is question #1 of about 5 million. Ill ask the others later so that i dont ask too many at once.

thanks
netboy79

I'm also new to the sport. As to your first question, what you are probably looking for is called a BC (Bouyancy Compensator). There are many makes and styles to choose from. I personally own the ScubaPro KnightHawk, but it's a personal choice. This is a 'weight integrated' BC which means you do not need an extra weight belt to go with it. There are weight pockets built into the unit where you put the weight you need. A BC also allows you to fill up a portion of it with air using your tank or manually. As you go deeper, you will need to adjust the amount of air in the BC, likewise as you go up or 'ascend'. (This is all covered in more detail during the class and instruction manuals.) Most people nowadays are using this type of system.

(PS, you NEED weight to help you 'sink' because with all the equipment you are POSITIVELY bouyant and will otherwise float.) The BC is what helps you either ascend or remain NEUTRALLY bouyant while diving.

Positive bouyancy = float
Neutral bouyancy = neither sink nor float
Negative bouyancy = sink

While you are diving you want to remain neutrally bouyant, which from what I have read is one of the most beneficial skills to master.

There are a lot of VERY knowledgeable people here with more know-how and advice than I could ever offer, but there's a start for you!

If you are neutrally bouyant, your own breathing can bring you up or down slightly and this is the ideal condition for most diving. However when you want to surface, you add more air to your BC. If you want to go deeper, you let air out of your BC.

Here's some tips from YukinDiver.com:
Some General Tips on Bouyancy

Bouyancy control in colder waters, when wearing full, thick wet suits or dry suits, is much more demanding than when diving in the tropics, wearing just a T-shirt or a thin shorty wet suit with no hood, mitts, etc. When wearing thicker neoprene suits, there is much greater compression of the suit material when descending in the water than when wearing very thin suits. As you found out, we must wear much more weight on our belts when diving in colder waters to compensate for the thick wet suits - as we descend, the air bubbles within the neoprene compress, causing us to become heavier in the water. This will become very apparent even at a shallow depth - even less than 10 feet. As the neoprene compresses, we become heavier and must, therefore, keep adding air to our B.C.D.'s to maintain neutral bouyancy. Since, as we descend, we keep adding air to our B.C.D.'s, it then follows that, as we ascend, we are going to have to let this air out before it takes over control and we begin an uncontrolled ascent. It is important to maintain vigilance over your bouyancy and be pro-active by letting excess air out of your B.C.D. when ascending before you loose control. This becomes much more important when diving in a dry suit because you, now, have two air chambers to control - your suit and your B.C.D. As with any skill, practice will make your bouyancy control automatic - you will do it without even thinking about it - usually.

How do you maintain bouyancy control - I seldom see you touch your inflator? The answer to this question is very simple - use your lungs! The average person's lungs can affect their bouyancy by 4 - 6 pounds. This is a lot of change - especially when you are neutrally bouyant to begin with! When I dive, I adjust the air in my B.C.D. to achieve basic neutral bouyancy, then I adjust the mid-point of my breathing to fine-tune my bouyancy. If I find I become a bit heavy, I'll begin breathing a little deeper to compensate. When this becomes noticeable to me, I'll reach over and add a touch more air to my B.C.D. or to my dry suit, as required, to take me back to neutral bouyancy. This way, if I want to look closely at something on the bottom, I simply lift my feet up and let excess air out of my lungs until I descend a little, then I breathe in deeper to rise back away from the bottom again, never using my hands to propel me. Perecting this technique will give you much more confidence in your ability to control yourself in this water world.

netboy79,

If diving is something that interrests you, I'd suggest going back your local dive shop and asking about taking a Discover Scuba class. For around $150 you can purcahse a mask, fins, and snorkel, and take the class to see if it's something you'd like to continue. You'll need that gear anyway if you decide to continue on with the Open Water class, and if you don't then you've got yourself a nice set of snorkeling gear.

As for the weight belt, it is far from a fany contraption. Weight belts are generally either a piece of nylon webbing, or neoprene with pouches. The webbing type uses weights that thread onto the belt, and the pouch type uses pretty much any kind of weight you can fit into the pouches. The belts themselves are cheap, but the weight can be somewhat pricey, depending on how much you need. The amount of weight depends on several factors, including your body mass and what type of thermal protection (ie. wetsuit) you are wearing. However, unless you do a lot of local diving, you'll probably just be renting weight or using weight provided by a dive operation. Regardless, if you ever need to intentially drop your weight, then the cost of it is the least of your worries.

Hi NB and welcome to the board.
Try going to this web site and check out the scuba info. There are pictures and diagrams along with the text to explain how all the scuba stuff works. http://www.howstuffworks.com/scuba.htm

HD has a good idea on the "Discover Scuba", it's a great way to learn and find out if you like scuba. The going rate here is only $15 for which you get a very short course, 1hr, on the equipment, go to a pool and do a "real" dive to the deep end of the pool. They supply all the equipment you need. My LDS (local dive shop)even rebates the $15 if you enrole in a class.

"Weight belt...this fancy contraption helps bring you down right? then how do you get back up, dump it? If so, isnt that kinda expensive?"

NetBoy,

The weight belt "allows" you to sink, it does not "make" you sink.
With your wet suit and BCD on, it would be impossible to sink without a weight belt. Here is how you determine if you are properly weighted:

With a deflated BCD, hold a normal breath at the surface. You should sink until the waterline is at eye level. If you sink deeper, you have too much weight on. Once properly wieghted you should SLOWLY sink when not holding your breath. So as you can see, the weights ALLOW you to sink.....they dont make you sink.

To ascend back to the surface you simply kick your fins. If you have any air in your BC when you begin your ascent you will need to vent it off as you rise because as you rise it will expand and cause you to become more buoyant, which could lead to a runaway ascent. BCD's have several vents or discharges for this purpose. Its really a lot easier than it sounds. Hope this has helped. Good luck with

Back
Top Bottom