I have been doing some research...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I haven't jumped in lately, but I have been out of town

Jim, you say that Berman's death was because he did not follow DIR procedures. I have heard others in the community say that the DIR system shouldn't be held accountable for his death because he broke several DIR rules. I wholeheartedly agree. What I can't understand is how the rest of us can be called "chokes" when accidents among the rest of us are a result of people not following standards set forth by other agencies. How can GUE label the rest of us, yet exempt themselves by hiding under the "he wasn't following our system" defense?

BTW, I am waiting for some numbers to come in and I think I see a result here that I did not expect. I will have to write a new hypothesis as a result of these figures. More to follow.

Originally posted by sharpenu
What I can't understand is how the rest of us can be called "chokes" when accidents among the rest of us are a result of people not following standards set forth by other agencies. How can GUE label the rest of us, yet exempt themselves by hiding under the "he wasn't following our system" defense?

There's the catch. GUE called NO ONE a "stroke". There are a number of INDIVIDUALS that use the word. I don't use it, many on here don't use it. I have actually met more anti-DIR folks that use it than I have DIR folks. I don't think anyone hides behind any particular defense. People mess up and die, regardless of their affiliation. With that said, Berman was not DIR on that fateful day. But if you refer to the stats, most TRAINED cave divers who die in caves broke one or more of the "cardinal sins" taught by ALL the agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom