I have a question about my AOW certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is important to dive 100+ft. First, you get used to this mentally that you are in the world without color and it is not your vision that is compromised. Second, you get to experience, maybe, elation or doom, and learn to recognize these symptoms as ways of dealing with them, rather than giving in to them. Another lesson is how much air the bladder now holds, that any quick movement up will make you very buoyant, assent should be gradual and one would be quick to find the purge button or valve lace.

It is an experience. Though, I agree, unless it is a wreck, most life that grows on the bottom is pretty much goes only to 90 feet. Not much to find at 130 feet.

It is an experience. Though, I agree, unless it is a wreck, most life that grows on the bottom is pretty much goes only to 90 feet. Not much to find at 130 feet.

It depends upon where you are. In many cases that is true.

A couple of years ago I was part of a group that dived just past 300 feet on the reef called Palancar caves in Cozumel. Since the ascent took about 75 minutes (IIRC), I had a lot of time to compare things at different depths. The world at 300 feet there was mostly dead coral and gray--not all that exciting. At around 200 feet, there was a pretty fair amount of black coral, something you don't see in many places. That is also where the bigger lion fish were hanging out, since it is open season on them in the shallower depths. The coral and spongers were actually pretty good from about maybe 180 foot to 110 feet. It was worth seeing. I will agree, though, that the best stuff was between 110-50 feet.

It's amazing what mere tension can do to the normal SAC level. Having someone go deep and be real new at it, God forbid also new at other aspects of the dive and all while wearing a single tank doesn't sound like a relaxing dive. Make a plan that assumes a sig. higher SAC than normal and keep the dive within your comfort level. If you are not having fun you're doing it wrong & the Mighty O will take many dives to see it all no matter where you start.

That's why I do dives around 130' as often as I find water deep enough, just to keep in practice. With one of my regular buddy's it's a lot of fun. It's not relaxing, but always interesting when I have a new buddy, especially if it is their first rodeo.

Back in the '60's it was referred to as the Toasty O by us raghats.

Bob

WOW there really is no limit as to what a padi cert can let you do.

Prince William is also the president of BSAC.
Those paparazzi have to learn how to dive and underwater photography soon.

WOW there really is no limit as to what a padi cert can let you do.
The paparazzi wouldn't give a damn about the card, underwater photos of the HRH are the goal.

I dove the vandenberg with just my OW. I actually had a lot of 100+ foot dives before I ever got my AOW. Remember, a certification card will NEVER take the place of experience and operators realize that as well. At least, experienced operators.

I'm in this line. I only have OW cert, but I regularly do dives of 100 feet. Even where operators normally "require" AOW, I've never had one turn me down after a quick discussion of my previous experience level and comfort at depth.

I'm in this line. I only have OW cert, but I regularly do dives of 100 feet. Even where operators normally "require" AOW, I've never had one turn me down after a quick discussion of my previous experience level and comfort at depth.

What do they ask and what are the correct answers? Taking notes here...

In my experience you may be correct that a brief discussion may get results or you may get a dumb blank stare from behind the dive shop counter; may have to go find the supervisor; may have to drag around a log book; may have to jump up and down while stamping your feet; may get to watch the boat leave while you're standing at the dock. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't. IMHO, after dropping cash on airfare, accommodations, and dive packages, the last thing I want on a dive vacation is one more hassle. Diving is supposed to be recreational and like it or not AOW (& Nitrox) is currently the ticket to doing the dives I want to do while traveling with the least hassle. In many places the cost of AOW is not significantly more than the dives you do for the cert. So why not take a bit of time and get it while you're there. You may get a good instructor (I did) and learn something (or at least a different point of view) and have some fun in the process. If you want to buck the system, have at it. You can certainly make a case that it's a money grab (many have). Meanwhile, I'm going diving. YMMV :)

One of these day you will be denied and there is nothing you can do!! And I have seen it happened.
Experience count nothing if you do not have the card to support. Liability is the key. If anything happen to the diver, the shop will get the blame for allowing unqualified diver to do the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom