I have a question about my AOW certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the vandenberg with just my OW. I actually had a lot of 100+ foot dives before I ever got my AOW. Remember, a certification card will NEVER take the place of experience and operators realize that as well. At least, experienced operators.

I agree with you 100% Bob

My wife got certified las summer and never passed the 23 ft mark. Since then i have been working with her on skills and the like. This summer we went to gennie springs and as usual, that tank lasted all day. We then went to vortex and at the enteerance of the cave, I flashed her the question sign and pointed to her computer. You could see her body tence and then relax. she had no idea that 1. she ws that deep 55 ft. 2. that her air was being used much faster than she was used to. She now watches her computer and spg much more now. Since then we have dove lake travis and and worked on navagation using bottom contour to determine which way was shore and which was is the deep dark pit. We are now amidst a 4 week run of thursday at the blue lagoon in tx. She is starting to navagate and we are mapping the lake bottom. She has decided that there is a lot to using a compass.

The problem is that a diver will get used to checking the SPG at a regular interval and not changing the interval when they change their depth. This can become a real problem if they are diving their pressure rather than having and following a dive plan. Toss in forgetting to do it at all, or not seeing the pressure when looking at it because of Narcosis and they are well into an incident pit. It is a real revelation when or if you figure it out.

Bob
-------------------------

It's amazing what mere tension can do to the normal SAC level. Having someone go deep and be real new at it, God forbid also new at other aspects of the dive and all while wearing a single tank doesn't sound like a relaxing dive. Make a plan that assumes a sig. higher SAC than normal and keep the dive within your comfort level. If you are not having fun you're doing it wrong & the Mighty O will take many dives to see it all no matter where you start.

The problem is that a diver will get used to checking the SPG at a regular interval and not changing the interval when they change their depth. This can become a real problem if they are diving their pressure rather than having and following a dive plan. Toss in forgetting to do it at all, or not seeing the pressure when looking at it because of Narcosis and they are well into an incident pit. It is a real revelation when or if you figure it out.

Bob
-------------------------

My students learn this: TABD ("tabbed")

Time
Air
Buddy
Depth

The deeper you go the more frequently you look and the closer you remain to your buddy

It is my understanding that in the AOW deep dive, you go to about 100'. For the specialty, you go to 130'. In both cases, I think you'll use the card to see how light changes as you go deeper. Depending on your instructor, you may be doing some sort of a problem at depth to see the effect of narcosis on you in your AOW. I don't have the instructor requirements, so I am not sure if it must be done. It was for my deep diver specialty (I've had about a dozen different instructors over 2 agencies).

Hopefully and instructor can chime in. I'm just bringing this up as the OP talks about going to 120'.

I did 120' on my Deep specialty, about 3'-5' above hard bottom where I did it..

On the Speigel Grove, I went to 104' and on the Bibb 110'. You can go deeper on both of those wrecks.

I would never pull myself down a mooring line without gloves.

Thank you all for your thoughtful input. But the original question is could I dive these spots with just a AOW cert. And thanks to a few that question was answered.

To answer a few questions about my certification. I was NASE certified in Pompano and in that course we were taken to a wreck at 105’ to the sand. Where we had to perform the skill of unscrewing a bolt with washers that were numbered and I had to reassemble in opposite order. On that dive the current was ripping. So our bottom time was very limited. Next was a drift dive to 50' where I had to perform a recovery of rocks and be the reel man for the drift float.

That night we did a night dive and I must admit I'm now hooked. It was my best dive so far!!! On this dive we preformed flashlight skills, like simulated primary light going out and we had to recover our backup. Also we used our night light signals to communicate with each other. We also were busy marking out lobsters for a return trip!

Next day we again had another deep dive on another wreck 100'. This time we had to survey the wreck and again the current was ripping. And again this dive was short due to the current and the amount of air we were using just trying to hang onto the ship. But I did get my part of the survey completed. Next was a dive to 40' were I performed my navigation skills. No issues there.

These were the skills/items that I had to perform during my AOW certification. I always assumed AOW max depth was 130', but I was incorrect it is 100’, although the max recreational depth is 130’. And just to set the record straight I have no plans to venture that deep at this time and if I do see a need I would seek additional training first.

BTW, I should have also meantioned that we worked on bouyance and trim during all dives.

I always assumed AOW max depth was 130', but I was incorrect it is 100’, although the max recreational depth is 130’. And just to set the record straight I have no plans to venture that deep at this time and if I do see a need I would seek additional training first.

I would go with your assumption. All of the "max depths" other than 130 ft. are suggestions and training guidelines. When recreational dive traveling in FL & the Caribbean, I've never been asked for a Deep Cert. I have been asked for my AOW for deeper or more "advanced" dives (possibilities for higher current, rougher entries & exits, even for long boat rides to known sites that might have either one of the former where there won't be much opportunity for hand holding by the staff, etc.). It's the dive OPs boat & they have their reasons. The AOW requirement isn't perfect as we have seen via examples listed in this thread and others, but for now it's the "name of the game" for dive travel. I don't get hung up on the "ADVANCED" in AOW. IMHO, we aren't monkeys that just fell out of trees & we can understand some degree of nuance in the cert title. The course is what it is. I hate hassels when dive traveling, so I have my AOW & Nitrox. Whether it was good timing in my diving progression or a good instructor, I enjoyed & benefited from my AOW and I get to do the dives I want to do. I don't dive to max rec depths just to dive deep, but if there is something I want to see, I go see it. Just dive within your comfort level and if you want to "push your limits," do so intelligently and with care. It's not a race. Most of all have fun. It's supposed to be recreational. Safe diving.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom