I have a project in mind, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have absolutely no idea how to proceed.

Here's the idea and rationale: Lake Elmer Thomas (if you don't know) is a small lake on the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma. It usually has pretty good visibility and an abundance of fish. Near the dam is good diving with an submerged old dam that goes down to about a hundred feet. However, in the past few years, the lake has become nearly choked with aquatic weeds...some of which I think is hydrilla. The vegetation is definitely encroaching more and more across the lake and toward the dam area where many people dive.

I would like to approach the authorities with a plan to curtail the vegetation in a fashion similar to the one at Spring Lake (Aquarena Center). While it would be monumental to address the whole lake, it might be feasible to concentrate on areas closer to the dam. Volunteer divers could harvest large areas and make an impact on at least a part of the problem and have some fun doing it.

Has anyone else participated in programs such as this, and is it worth inquiring further with the Federal authorities at the Wildlife Refuge? (I'm relatively certain that the EPA or some similar agency might be involved.) I'm looking for suggestions about how to broach the subject and pitch the notion to stem a non-indigenous invasion into a potentially sensitive area.

Just an idea...any input or experience would be appreciated.

I don't have any particulars on how to approach the matter but, if it gets the green light, I'd like to help out. I'm originally from Wichita Falls and have spent plenty of time in those mountains. In fact, my great grandfather helped lay the stone on the Lost Lake Dam in 1926. Keep me posted on this and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

I have absolutely no idea how to proceed.

Here's the idea and rationale: Lake Elmer Thomas ...................................................................I would like to approach the authorities with a plan to curtail the vegetation in a fashion similar to the one at Spring Lake (Aquarena Center)..

Yes, I know how to get you the info offline. Use shawntv@austin.rr.com email address.

FYI.........I was informed that the hydrilla removal from start to finish at Spring Lake took 1 full year to complete after the authorization paperwork was approved.

Regards,

Shawn O.

PS: My wife mailed your DVD today to your PO box Bill.

Happy hunting.

Guba,

How deep is the plant life getting? When we dove there a couple of years ago, after 15ft, the plant life stopped.

-Brad

You mean there is diving near FT Sill. . . WOW who'da thunk it . . .

IslandFrog
The last time David and I were there (last summer), we went across the lake to the far side (directly across from the put-in point). The vegetation started at the shore and went all the way down the slope to the old dam. Later, we cruised back across the lake to "the point" on the put-in side. We had vegetation pretty much all the way across. There is still a pretty large opening in the center all the way to the dam, but it definitely seems to be encroaching rapidly.

Interesting Guba.

I'm sending you a PM with a thought or two...

In Lake Austin, they've stocked several times with steril carp. it's a certain breed that love to munch on the hydrilla. And of course being steril, they can not reproduce (since they are not a native fish to that area, there are no repercusions to stocking them). Might be another possibility to help with controlling the weed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom