I have a hose routing challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
I am just setting up my first BP/wing (been diving the long hose for a while) but I have a bit of a problem as follows:

I have a camera with the shutter on the RH side so I need to use it in my right hand, so I have my goodman handled light in my left hand and I don't like the cable going across my chest, so I put my canister light on the LH side, ending up with nothing to hold my long hose in place.....

My knife is too short to be any use and I have no real need for a pocket there (guess I could start carrying a spare mask - never have before).

Does it work to just tuck it in?

Thanks,

Grajan:
I am just setting up my first BP/wing (been diving the long hose for a while) but I have a bit of a problem as follows:

I have a camera with the shutter on the RH side so I need to use it in my right hand, so I have my goodman handled light in my left hand and I don't like the cable going across my chest, so I put my canister light on the LH side, ending up with nothing to hold my long hose in place.....

My knife is too short to be any use and I have no real need for a pocket there (guess I could start carrying a spare mask - never have before).

Thanks,

Yes, tucking it into the waist band will work.

R..

Another good option is to hang a safety reel on your right hip and use that to secure the long hose.

theskull

Grajan:

Thanks,

I dive a long hose all the time and without a light cannister especially in Cozumel. I also dive with a camera and have it secured to about a 3-foot piece of webbing that I clip off to my right D-ring with a big bolt snap.

I tuck my long hose in my belt and it works just fine. I make sure that I don't trap the hose with with my camera strap.

I'm not clear on how the camera changes things but tucking it works fine.

Mike,
I think my logic is sound but I'm happy to challenge it:

- I need to hold my small camera in my right hand (shutter button access) so I suspend it from my right wrist.

- Therefore I like my (canister) light in my left hand

- I don't like the light cable crossing my body as it interferes with the long hose

- Therefore I need to put my canister on my left side

- So - there is nothing on my right side to run the long hose under.

Does that make sense?

MikeFerrara:
I'm not clear on how the camera changes things but tucking it works fine.

Grajan:
Mike,
I think my logic is sound but I'm happy to challenge it:

- I need to hold my small camera in my right hand (shutter button access) so I suspend it from my right wrist.

- Therefore I like my (canister) light in my left hand

- I don't like the light cable crossing my body as it interferes with the long hose

- Therefore I need to put my canister on my left side

- So - there is nothing on my right side to run the long hose under.

Does that make sense?

I keep my battery canister on my right waist belt. I have a bolt snap tied to the light head with cave line just behind the lens. I clip this bolt snap to my right side chest D ring and keep the excess cord tucked into my waist belt. The end result of this is the light pretty much always points forward and if I want to use it for signaling I manipulate it with a free hand while keeping it clipped.

The end result of this is that the battery gives me a nice "hook" for the long hose, the light cord stays neatly stowed, and both of my hands are free during the dive.

Your post indicates that if you do have the battery on the right and the light head on your left hand you understand that the light cord should run UNDER the long hose.

Mark Vlahos

I wouldn't suspend the camera from my wrist. I'd put a bold snap on it and clip it off when not in use. I toss lanyards in the garbage and replace them with a piece of cave line and a bolt snap.

I wear the light can on the right because I wear stages and/or decompression bottles on the left. The light cord doesn't really interfere with the long hose. With the light head in the left hand, hand the reg off with the right. At this point the guy has air and plenty of hose for the time being. Move the light cord around and fully deploy by armsweeping it out from under the light can.

Running the light cord under the hose is a major pain if you ever switch hands or when you go to clip it off (on the right because the left d-ring I use for clipping tanks off). You either have to keep running it under or it get's wrapped around. It's also a pain if your crawling through restrictions or something. I like the light cord free from the light head to the can.

I have trouble enough getting a good picture so when I use a camera I clip the light head off so I can use both hands. If we're in the dark I just let my buddy supply the light while I take the picture. The light head is normally in my left hand but I switch off some since I don't have a scooter. The biggest reason I use the light on the left is because my bottom timmer is on my right wrist.

I wouldn't change any of my basic configuration for a camera.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom