I have a few dry suit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukiedukie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking for some colder water protection then my 4/3 would give me and I ran into a deal (I think) on a dry suit. My questions are how losse should a dry suit be before I burp it? what sort of range of montion should I expect in the suit? How much of the seals should be extended at my wrist? My biggest deal is I am wondering if it will be the right size. I was in it today and could easly reach where my reg would be. It was tight in the back area when I crossed my arms in front of me (kind of like a exagerated hug) It was sort of tight but I could still squat down and but my but on my heals.

Now for the deal factor

Here is the package but this one comes with the insluating underwear hanger bag boots and hanger and has only been dove in twice and he want $500 for it. I do not remember if it was a large or extra large.

http://scubatoys.com/store/search_r...hites+Nexus+II+Dry+Suit+Package&Submit=Search

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance,

If I get this I do plan to take a drysuit class before using.

The dry suit should be loose enough to allow you enough flexibility to move in it. It really shouldn't be much different than what you get in a wet suit. You should have full range of motion. You will also need to keep in mind that you'll be wearing undergarments with a bi/tri-lam suit. Try the suit on with the undergarments to get a real feel for it. The seals should reach down to the end of your wrists, basically just above the creases. You might end up pulling them up a little to minimize normal leakage there, but you'll want the length for the flexibility. With dry gloves you won't necessarily have to pull them up. It sounds like the suit may be a little tight for you, especially if you weren't wearing undergarments. If you did have undergarments on, it might be okay as a starter.

Lukiedukie:
I was looking for some colder water protection then my 4/3 would give me and I ran into a deal (I think) on a dry suit. My questions are how losse should a dry suit be before I burp it? what sort of range of montion should I expect in the suit? How much of the seals should be extended at my wrist? My biggest deal is I am wondering if it will be the right size. I was in it today and could easly reach where my reg would be. It was tight in the back area when I crossed my arms in front of me (kind of like a exagerated hug) It was sort of tight but I could still squat down and but my but on my heals.

Now for the deal factor

Here is the package but this one comes with the insluating underwear hanger bag boots and hanger and has only been dove in twice and he want $500 for it. I do not remember if it was a large or extra large.

http://scubatoys.com/store/search_r...hites+Nexus+II+Dry+Suit+Package&Submit=Search

Your range of motion should be as follows. Remember that you have to do this with the *whole* suit on, including the undersuit you're planning on using.

1) arms
(a) hugging and touching the opposite shoulders simultaneously.
(b) reaching behind the head and touching your back between your shoulders with each arm.

2) torso
(a) bending over you should have a full range of normal motion
(b) while sitting on your knees, you should be able to put your forearms on the ground with your elbows touching your knees. (should look a little like a muslim praying stance)

3) legs
(a) you should be able to raise each foot to knee level and grab it with the hand on the other side your body without bending. (right leg to left hand)
(b) you should be able to swat

That pretty much covers it. Don't forget, you need to do this with your undersuit on as well.

R..

Lukiedukie:

Now for the deal factor

why not take the class first ,learn about dry suits ,then get one? the class will teach you not onl just how to use the suit but care,maintence and repair..Will show you different materials it is made of,different undergarments ,seals etc..then you can make an educated decision on what you want..also you are buying a USED suit..,it may or may not work for you.If it does not work for you ,you are stuck with it..more than 1 person on this board has purchased a "deal" and it leaks alot,needed seals and repairs and now after putting all the time and $ in it has a second rate suit..you can get a dui cns for under $1,000/list I believe for 1,100/1,200.should be able to get one for $850./$900. with a dry suit speciality class thrown in..

Thank you all I will be going back to try everything with the under layers and boots on. I do trust the seller but he was unsure of the fit. I am still leaning towards picking up the 7mm wetsuit I was orignally shopping for and doing a ton more research on drysuits. Either way thanks for the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom