I have a Dumb Question re: Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K Ellis - Oh you should see some of the threads on the motorcycle board I go on. Good Lord, you ask a question on there and you're lucky if you don't walk away crying! :)

She did apologize when I went back and went over everything with me, assuring me it was ok to use in an emergency situation, but to be sure and practice when I got in the water (she knows I'll be with an instructor down there for the advanced cert) - and my friend said he will definitely practice with me in the shallow water when we first get in Friday.
Stacey ... give it lots of practice in Florida ... and see if you like it. You might find it easier to handle than to you think. Also - you can practice switching back & forth between your reg and the Air-2 even if your buddy doesn't participate. I would often hang out in the shallows or at the safety stop just switching back & forth by myself, over & over. It was good practice and something to do for 3 minutes! But if you really hate it, you can always buy an octo when you get back ....

And as someone pointed out earlier - it prevents the dangling, dragging octo - that I see too frequently when diving in places like Cozumel .... I guess some divers never heard of an octo holder!:shakehead:

Personally the air 2's I have used felt like little plastic toys in my mouth and didn't inspire confidence. For that matter so do most cheap octos. Big dif between a $100 SP octo and a more expensive primary like an s600. All that said, practice with it and you'll be fine. Don't practice with it and in an emergency that little air 2 may feel like a cheap toy in an emergency and cause you to "want" your primary back.

Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom