I Had A Dream....... Day (minus) 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave & Leslie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
“I had a dream last night,” I said to Leslie (Double L).

She didn’t seem to care. We were sitting on the couch watching TV. I couldn’t blame her. My dreams are pretty much a non-event. No color, very little conversation, no discernible context of any kind.

Boring.

Typically, when I awake during (or from) a dream, it feels more like an impression; a potpourri of sensations and images. Not something most folks would even call a “dream.”

Usually, my dreams have very little effect on me. I just roll over and go back to sleep. I find them very difficult to explain, and, many years ago, Double L quit trying to figure them out.

This dream was a bit different, however. Not quite my usual fusion of unexplainable weirdness. Much more intense. It actually had a slight storyline, but, admittedly, made no sense at all. Absolutely none. Because of the subject matter, and the emotional reaction it could cause, some might even call it a nightmare.

“It was about Bonaire,” I said.

Double L grabbed the remote and hit the pause button, instantly freezing the Netflix episode of Longmire we had been watching. She turned sideways on the couch to face me.

There was a sparkle in her eyes. One I recognized. One I had seem many times before. Not her normal, everyday sparkle. A special sparkle. It was her……. “Bonaire” sparkle.

She tossed the remote onto the ottoman. “Okay,” she said, “tell me about it.”

I looked away for a moment, uneasy about the effect this might have. About the effect it would have. I looked at the TV screen. Henry Standing Bear (played by Lou Diamond Phillips) was stopped mid-sentence as if he too were waiting for my description. At that moment I was pretty sure that Standing Bear could exercise more patience than Les.

“Well,” I said.

“Yeah?” she said, her sparkle growing more sparkly by the second.

I swallowed, cleared my throat, then swallowed again. This is not going to be good, I thought. I wondered how I had gotten myself into this. Once again, I should’ve kept my mouth shut.

“It seems….” I started, “we had been on Bonaire for about five days…..”

“Yeah?” Double L said.

“But….. we hadn’t done any diving yet.”

Silence.

After a few moments, Double L asked, “That’s it?”

Another swallow. “Yeah, that was pretty much it. The jest of it, anyway.”

More silence.

Finally, Les grabbed the remote. She looked at me and said, “You know that’ll never happen. It makes no sense.”

“Can’t explain it.” I said, now on the defensive. “I never said I wanted anything like that to happen.”

Les turned back towards the TV, shook her head, and said, “That’s a stupid dream.”

She hit the play button. When the episode resumed, Standing Bear shook his head. I could swear he was looking right at me…… I could almost hear him echo Double L’s words. Yes, Standing Bear, I agree.

Stupid Dream.

Stupid dream or not, according to the Delta website, we leave for Bonaire in 23 days. Our 25th trip. Tweekers once again!

Let’s just hope, though, that some dreams never come true.

Dive on Friends,

Dave & Leslie.

Haha! I start dreaming about swimming with the fish about 30 days out. Wheels up 0635 Saturday. Our 11th straight year. I'll save some good fish for you.

Really enjoy your trip reports on Btalk. From a fellow BCV tweeker, glad you found your way over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom