I find anchors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Well... perhaps it isn't readily apparent from the second picture... but the anchor wasn't galvanized steel... it is bronze and is even now the star of my anchor collection. I will leave it untouched on one side but cleaned and polished on the other.

It was a wonderful object lesson: Some things look worthless even though there is real beauty hidden within. It is even more meaningful when applied to people. Some seem crusty and worn... even bent and useless... but underneath, if you take the time and trouble, you find a treasure.

to lug that thing in the house, my sig-other would lock me out.

Finding old anchors and especially chain is always a bonus if you own a boat. I'll even pull up old line if it's in good shape - you can never have enough dock/anchor line.

My wife is used to having old anchors in the garage... though she was wondering how long I was going to leave that one just laying around outside.

She knows I like anchors but has so far resisted my suggestions that we *decorate* a corner of the living room with some of them.

As soon as I found out what was underneath the crust I brought it in to show her and she immediately saw the *rest of the story* and understood the significance. Believe it or not this anchor means a lot to both of us now. (It probably still won't make it into the living room. :D)

I think there was some chain with it but if I remember correctly (and that is always doubtful) I dumped that overboard. Too bad because chances are that was bronze as well. Why bronze? Well I'm not sure where this anchor came from and it is a bit small for the purpose but minesweepers use bronze anchors and chain because it is non-magnetic.

Rope.... another great find on a dive at Hat Island: last year I was pricing tow line for my Whaler and saw that West Marine has floating dingy tow line with an outer braided sheath at ~$1 a foot. A short while later I found ~120' of it (in great shape) attached to another anchor and wrapped around the reef. :D I don't use it for a towline but keep it on the Whaler for a tagline.

The hydraulic press. I built a couple of them 30+ years ago and kept one for myself.

cancun mark:
Tobin.. Can You Make Me A Bronze Backplate???

Brass is technically possible, but I don't know if I can source bronze in sheet.

Brass is actually more dense than stainless, ~ 530 lbs per cuft vs ~495 for SS, so it would be an effective weighting material.

Regards,

Tobin

But who wants to spend a fortune on BRASSO to keep it prepared for inspection???

And get little greenish spots all over your webbing.

Uncle Pug:
but the only anchor I’ve resisted taking home so far has been the 5 ton one.

When you said in the first paragraph you found a 5 ton Navy type, I was curious how you got that one back on the boat. But I guess this answers that :)

I found a really skeevy looking danforth anchor on my very first checkout dive in Wisconsin. The instructor let me drag it back. Got it home and gave it to a friend with a boat. He cleaned it up and it looks great. And he uses it on his boat. So I understand the feeling, UP. BTW, I also happened on a cool HUGE navy anchor here on Saipan.

I can't really explain why, but for some reason, I enjoy finding anchors too.

Uncle Pug:
Well... perhaps it isn't readily apparent from the second picture... but the anchor wasn't galvanized steel... it is bronze and is now the star of my anchor collection. I will leave it untouched on one side but cleaned and polished on the other.

It was a wonderful object lesson: Some things look worthless even though there is real beauty hidden within. It is even more meaningful when applied to people. Some seem crusty and worn... even bent and useless... but underneath, if you take the time and trouble, you find a treasure.

Nah, it was apparent. My aged brain was just slow about making the connection. I just couldn't accept the idea that someone would make an anchor out of bronze and therefore it had to be something besides an anchor. Perhaps an artifact from a long lost alien spacecraft or something.

Back
Top Bottom