I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the max amps for 2% thoriated (red) electrodes...
  • 0.040: 15–80 amps
  • 0.010: Up to 15 amps
  • 0.020: 5–20 amps
  • 1/16: 70–150 amps
  • 3/32: 150–250 amps
  • 1/8: 300-400 amps
I'm running an amp for each 0.01" of material. It looks to be 1/8", so I have it set to 126. My pedal allows me to adjust from almost nothing to 128, since that's the max I have it set to. I'm trying to do autogenous welding (sans filler) and melt the edge of the flange into the leg. I only need an inch or two top and bottom.

Sorry to hear of your back problems
After 15 months of this, I know why they call us patients.

That was my first thought on the first fiasco. I did up the flow a bit, but it was indeed on. I had a buddy learning how to MIG years ago. The gas had a 1/4 turn valve and everytime he went to weld, I turned it off and opened it again when the wire stuck. He couldn't understand what was going on, since It always welded fine for me. I stopped before he was in tears, but the drama was hilarious. With many friends just like me, I've learned to check my gas often.

Here are the max amps for 2% thoriated (red) electrodes...
  • 0.040: 15–80 amps
  • 0.010: Up to 15 amps
  • 0.020: 5–20 amps
  • 1/16: 70–150 amps
  • 3/32: 150–250 amps
  • 1/8: 300-400 amps
I'm running an amp for each 0.01" of material. It looks to be 1/8", so I have it set to 126. My pedal allows me to adjust from almost nothing to 128, since that's the max I have it set to. I'm trying to do autogenous welding (sans filler) and melt the edge of the flange into the leg. I only need an inch or two top and bottom.
An amp per thou seems quite high for mild steel.
That is a closer guideline for aluminum.
Remember, you aren't welding, you are using a welder as a torch. The tungsten never contacts the material.
As close as possible, but not touching is the basic guideline. Increase the pedal until it arcs and then hold it until a puddle forms. Arc control and puddle control is a product of time spent doing it. It is very very similar to oxy acetylene brazing only you lift the pedal instead of pulling the flame back.

I have only used a pedal twice so it is a bit foreign to me, everything I do is laying in or on something welding in position. I have been using a thumb control for so long, it is my go to even when working on a bench.

An amp per thou seems quite high for mild steel.
That is a closer guideline for aluminum.
Remember, you aren't welding, you are using a welder as a torch. The tungsten never contacts the material.
As close as possible, but not touching is the basic guideline. Increase the pedal until it arcs and then hold it until a puddle forms. Arc control and puddle control as a product of time spent doing it. It is very very similar to oxy acetylene brazing only you lift the pedal instead of pulling the flame back.

I have only used a pedal twice so it is a bit foreign to me, everything I do is laying in or on something welding in position. I have been using a thumb control for so long, it is my go to even when working on a bench.
I bought the optional thumb control, but I sit a lot out of necessity.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom