I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been working on two cars and a compressor over the last few weeks. The Aveo has me stumped. I can hear the miss, but I can't find the culprit. Grrr. I just started on my deceased sister's Dakota. No crank, no lights, even with a new battery. Power to the ignition switch, so I have a new coming here on Tuesday. I really have to wait if I want good prices on car parts.

However, last year my 3HP compressor pooped out. A small plastic hose that provides the vent for the unloading valve to work burst. Sigh. I decided I wanted bigger, so I went with a high volume 5HP compressor and 5HP motor. I also went with a copper tube to vent the unloader. Well, after all is said and done, it's finally done. I was surprised that even the pulley cage fit with very little twisting. So, now we have to muscle it in place. It also went from one belt to two, which is why I was worried if the cage would fit.

1708889691206.png

I went with a high volume 5HP compressor and 5HP motor.
Someone must make an "Auto-Drain" for that tank because that thing is HUGE !! Your knees won't be getting down there to twist that open every day.

Someone must make an "Auto-Drain" for that tank because that thing is HUGE !! Your knees won't be getting down there to twist that open every day.
It's actually about a foot off the ground, but pulls it from the bottom.

It's installed now and is a lot quieter and quicker than the old unit. It' got up to 140 in less than a quarter of the time the old one would get to 120. Here it is installed. The Scuba compressor on the left is next to be installed.

1708887800759.png

Sry, I posted the wrong pic in the last post. It's the correct image now of it in place. It's nice to have air in the shop again. Easier to clean, and some tools are just better with air.

We have a new convert to air tools. My Grand Nephew Ethan and I have been working on his car with Ryobi tools. I have their 1/4, 3/8 ratchets and their 3/8, 1/2 impact guns. They work and I can't say I miss having to drag the hose around. But my IR pneumatic tools are so much quicker as well as more powerful. They've been in hibernation for eons, but still work like they first did 30+ years ago. All of them are getting a good squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil, and the look in Ethan's eyes when he first pulled the trigger is quite the sight. He was impressed with the battery tools, but this takes it to another level.

My nephew installed two Goodyear automatic 50ft hose reels and also put in Milton HighFlowPRO V-style couplers and nipples throughout the shop. I don't like the way the unions came out, and have a much better solution coming on Monday. It works, so I'll probably let my grand nephew redo it when he comes back. However, those new Miltons don't leak. Not even a little bit. Simply amazing.

[/center]
1711736036095.png

1711736769909.png

I want to attach some casters to my new bearing press so I can easily move it around the shop. Drilling and tapping takes a long time and looks unsightly. I want to finally use my new AHP Alpha-TIG 225Xi that I bought in August of 2022. It's been a hot moment. Anyway, I spent a few painful hours to get her set up. I had to take breaks several times during the process. I did get to use my new Sonnler tungsten electrode grinder. Wow. It's nice and quick. Unfortunately, I didn't tighten the electrode quite enough, and on first arc, it balled up and blew back into the holder. Le sigh. I hurt too much today to continue. Maybe tomorrow? I'm going to go over everything I did today. No telling how many mistakes I made. It's amazing how quickly it took to get a nice angle with that grinder. Also, I used a pneumatic die grinder I set up with a Rolock, to prep the area, and man that was quick. I love this new compressor setup.

Also, I'm waiting for the pneumatic 20 Ton bottle jack that I will be using to replace the original 12 ton bottle. I might add a pressure transducer so I can track the actual pressure I'm using. I don't think a pressure gauge on the fluid side will be accurate.

1711918850366.jpeg

Bearing press with 12 Ton bottle jack.

1711918905138.png

Caster and leg prepped for welding.

1711919021199.png

My new AHP welder.

1711919095135.png

Sonnler tungsten electrode grinder.

1711919192195.png

The included pin vice is way awesome. The tool is made from anodized aircraft aluminum and quite robust.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom