I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO.
You did say you had read a lot.
Would be glad to know where you got the idea from?
Every bc/wing that I came across had specifically said it is NOT a life jacket.
I won't say that I am 100% sure but I have heard several times that a jacket BCD will have you face up when you surface while a wing will have you face down.

I won't say that I am 100% sure but I have heard several times that a jacket BCD will have you face up when you surface while a wing will have you face down.
BCD- buoyancy compensatory device - "assists" with buoyancy at "all" atms
PFD- Personal flotation device - It floats, period. depending type, in varying postures

Based on these questions, I think you should review sections of your OW manual or e-learning page. Your OW instructor should have gone over these principles a million times, before even going on a beach dive let alone a cavern <TG>

Based on these questions, I think you should review sections of your OW manual or e-learning page. Your OW instructor should have gone over these principles a million times, before even going on a beach dive let alone a cavern <TG>
Funny! We need to get a PhD to know how to use the LPI or the valves to deflate. Do you have any other advice like this one?

Funny! We need to get a PhD to know how to use the LPI or the valves to deflate. Do you have any other advice like this one?
Don't know if your using sarcasm or not, but deflating a BCD and having proper trim and weight should have been covered on day one...<TG>

Ouch. Dody the members here are trying to help you. I think perhaps you have been in a rush to get certificates rather than do more different types of dives which test your skills and gain experience.

Could you lead a night dive? How many of your dives have been night dives?

How many dives have you struggled with into a strong current? How many dives have to had to assist another diver who is stressed on a dive? Have you ever assisted a diver who got injured on the dive? Many of us have these experiences and you cannot get them from certifications. We have all made errors on dives.
I don't do night dives for a reason that I won't tell you :). Strong currents, I have had a few and I enjoyed it because I believed that the worst that could happen was that I would surface and be lost at sea. It happened last week and we had to surface swim for 2 hours. I never said that I was perfect. In fact, I want to experience all the possible sh*** to be a good diver.

You don't need a new BCD, just get yourself properly weighted and any BCD will do.

You often hear that you should do that with empty tanks, but that's sometimes impractical because you want to be properly weighted at the beginning of your first dive with full tanks, too. The trick is, that you at first determine the lead you need to descend exhaled with full tanks, and then add some more for the gas weight in your tank that you'll consume during the dive. For a 80cuft single tank, that's 6lbs / 3kg extra on top of what you need to descend with a full tank. This is easy to do at the beginning of your first dive and means that you will not be overweighted but able to stay at any depth without floating to the surface.

Benefit of the doubt? Should had chosen a more appropriate example instead of adding more fuel.
He has given far too many away eg. diving with light not properly working.
Well. If you believe that you are the JUDGE, think again. You entertain me. I am not in a fight with you.

Don't know if your using sarcasm or not, but deflating a BCD and having proper trim and weight should have been covered on day one...<TG>
Exactly. But some people tend to believe that even though you deflate using all the available means, you still have air in your BCD.

I don't do night dives for a reason that I won't tell you :). Strong currents, I have had a few and I enjoyed it because I believed that the worst that could happen was that I would surface and be lost at sea. It happened last week and we had to surface swim for 2 hours. I never said that I was perfect. In fact, I want to experience all the possible sh*** to be a good diver.

Damn, you are having a rough go at it recently! I've never had to swim for 2 hours to make it back!

You are right, i was trying to be calm, because other threads of dody kinda exploded..

But he writes stuff, that is just not true.
He claims he was never warned of underweighted issues. And no one told him new wetsuits need weigth adjustements. But we had a long discussion about this issue and his new wetsuit. His answer was:
"Some tell me that I should dive with 5 kg but I refuse."

His posts doesnt match well.. he asks for advice and then acts like he knows everything better.
I made a mistake. It happens. At least, I recognize when I mess up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom