I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the most predictable features of a ScubaBoard thread will be that after a few pages, someone will come in, read a post, and react to it without reading any of the other posts that were written after that to see if the matter was already handled or if they misunderstood something that was better explained later. The longer the thread, the more this happens.

It gets really annoying with some issue is raised and then, over several pages, it gets fully explored and a definite consensus is reached. That is because for the next few pages, the people who did not bother to read those pages will, with a confidence bordering on arrogance, state an opinion which has already been proving without question to be wrong. You really want to scream on those occasions.
It even happened to me in a different way. I was away for a week or so. And I replied to previous posts that I had seen and replied before :).

it can be very hard for even a highly experienced diver to get a small bubble of air to an exit point.
Small bubbles should never be a tipping point where you lose your neutral buoyancy. A normal adult tidal volume is right about a pound or 2 cups. You have about double that left in your lungs after a normal exhale... of which you can dump at least half, maybe more. With a little practice, most men can accommodate a 3-pound weight swing, and women can do at least a 2-pound swing. I've had one student do a 14-pound swing and my best was right at 18 pounds.

The biggest problem during this episode was probably the bubble stuck in his lungs. You'll find it harder and harder to breathe normally as your anxiety increases. Even worse, panic induces involuntary breath-holding and usually, it's far greater than your normal tidal volume. A panicked diver, or near panicked diver, can easily add 3 to 4 pounds of lift from this.

It's important for divers to remember to stop and breathe s-l-o-w-l-y while calming themselves down. Take a few breaths and when you can, purge as much air as you can out of your lungs. Exhale then exhale some more... and some more... and some more. Inspire your next breath slowly, but not too much. This can help reset your breathing rate to more normal and get rid of all that excess lift.

Exhale then exhale some more... and some more... and some more. Inspire your next breath slowly, but not too much. This can help reset your breathing rate to more normal and get rid of all that excess lift.
And it will get rid of the excess CO2 that is both caused by and exacerbates stressed breathing patterns.

It even happened to me in a different way. I was away for a week or so. And I replied to previous posts that I had seen and replied before :).
You know you do not have to reply to every post , even if you start the thread.
Let it die a natural death, sigh.:acclaim:
Here we say 'I hope you have learnt a lesson' , over there [US] you say 'I hope you have learned a lesson'.

You know you do not have to reply to every post , even if you start the thread.
Let it die a natural death, sigh.:acclaim:
Here we say 'I hope you have learnt a lesson' , over there [US] you say 'I hope you have learned a lesson'.

STEAM LANGUAGE.jpg

I will rephrase what I wrote earlier. Even if you understand the concept fully, it can be very hard for even a highly experienced diver to get a small bubble of air to an exit point. It can be hard to tell where that bubble is and what kind of gymnastics maneuver you need to make to get it out.

Take a look at my picture on the left. I was diving in a cave with a double set of aluminum 80 tanks. The wing I was using was a bit too big for those tanks. As you can see, the sides of the wing are up by the backs of the tanks. That is where the air is. Think about what it would take for me to get it out if I needed to. That is why on the dives after that picture was taken, I switched to a smaller wing.

It is also why I prefer to dive a few pounds overweighted. It is much easier to get rid of a shot of air if the bubble is a bit bigger.
That picture is a great example of how air gets trapped in wings, especially large wings. It's also worth mentioning large wings will cause drag & act like a parachute. The trapped air-bubbles can also cause trim issues & make it hard to remain level.

I got certified by SSI. After checking with my Dive shop, I paid 3 weeks for Rescue and DM incuded. I thought that Rescue was 2 weeks and DM one week but it was embedded.

Wow.. You should check the SSI standards, and see if they covered everything.

Like we discussed here and in the other thread about DM: a DM course is usually over half a year and about 50-100 dives. A lot of Theorie and assisting in classes.

Most of the questions you asked here should have been covered in the course.
I don't blame you.

Regarding your question :
Air can trap in tiny pockets. The bcd or wing bladder collapse when the air is out and can trap some air in it. You can vent it, by really fokusing on putting the valve on the highest point.
In jacket style bcds the air is usually trapped in the side pockets. This can be avoided by having neutral trim.

Like we discussed here and in the other thread about DM: a DM course is usually over half a year and about 50-100 dives. A lot of Theorie and assisting in classes.

I linked the SSI DM page some posts ago. It seems the course can be done in one week, not many dives required.

I linked the SSI DM page some posts ago. It seems the course can be done in one week, not many dives required.
One note is that I had already done "Science of diving", "Deep diving" and "React right" with the same instructor.

Back
Top Bottom