Question i did oc course and now want course in ccr, i need to start all over again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yosilogen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If I did a deco + advanced nitrox technical course in oc, and then want to do a course in ccr on trimix 60 TDI, I have to start the technical courses with ccr from the beginning?

If I remember correctly (but please google TDI course standard) prerequisite for Trimix CCR is having passed mod1 (Air diluent or Heliox, regardless of sub level) + hours on the unit (makes sense, so you can use the unit) and DecoPro (to ensure you can manage Deco, allowing „jumping“ if you’re not CCRdeco certified)

But skipping either to Trimix makes no sense, too many new things to learn all together

So yes, you have to start with mod1 (from the scratch) but probably best to do direct either Deco AirDil or even Helitrox)
Them do 50hrs on the unit them start mod2

This: TDI CCR Helitrox Decompression Procedures -
Is the highest you can start with on CCR

CCR is a different way of diving, managing the loop is rather weird at the beginning, with specific problems and procedures to solve them. So, basically, you'll start by learning those on the machine you have chosen, starting with air as diluent, so the 40-45 m range is the limit.

Then after the required time spent on your machine, you'll be able to start the next course.

You will start with the first course, typically called MOD1, which is learning how to dive CCR with air diluent. The cert is unit-specific and allows you to dive to 40m using air dil. If you have an OC trimix card, your instructor may certify you to a deeper depth. But that will depend on your skill, comfort with CCR and the instructor's discretion.

Regardless of the cert, you will have to re-learn to dive again. Therefore, the best option is to take it slow.

You are not starting again, you are building on top of your OC technical diving skills. Going into Mod1 CCR without any knowledge of dive planning or weak fundamental skills will make your life really difficult. Doing ANDP or similar and 50-100 techie dives before getting into CCR helps. You might also find out that you simply don’t like deco or don’t have the time or money to keep up even OC technical skills.

Whether OC normoxic trimix is useful these days is debatable.

When I did my IANTD MOD1 I already had normoxic trimix. As I recall, we used 21/35 banked at the shop as the diluent.

This chart may help…

This is for the TDI world but at least helps paint a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 51
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom