i.d Bauer compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, guys thanx for all the info. the floating piston was stuck at the top. i had to push it in with a rachet handle and rotate the flywheelmany times to free it up. not sure if it beeing forced back down by the 2nd stage air.the 3rd stage is cool both the cyl. and both lines.dont believe its operating.the final pressure i achieved was 1800 psi and the pressure build up took so long, 5 min. for 100 additional psi i shut her down.im goin back in for another look around. the one valve on the 2nd stage is held in by a allen bolt with a cap nut on top. the cowling for the fan ii metal not plastic.will send a pic of the machine tonight. thanx james

STOP! If that piston was seized then you are asking for trouble by using it. If it locks up further down the sleeve, it will surely tweak the crankshaft and destroy the guide piston and possibly do some serious internal damage. I remember this happening to a new Mod 6, K-14 and it completely busted the Fourth stage cylinder out of the upper crankcase.

Craig

Stingray, just to cover the bases. We have heard complaints about "low pressure" before and in at least one instance the problem was a leaking drain valve but it could be a leaking relief valve. Don't understand why it didn't "pop" but it may be related to the relatively slow rise in pressure at the second stage. If your compressor has been laying about for a long enough period to corrode the #3 piston/sleeve then there are likely some other niggling problems as well, like with valves. Try this, I always run my Capitano at no load for ten secs before shutting down. It blows water out of the third stage. Some people say it will damage the piston or push rod (clunk, clunk) but have not seen any problems.

Like Craig said about the piston. Pull the sleeve, remove piston from bottom and polish the sleeve bore with fine grit emory. The piston must move absolutely smoothly. When satisfied with the polish job, lube the piston with mineral oil and place in sleeve. It should take approx 7 secs to drop out.

Hey Pesky,
If I recall correctly, this particular piston/sleeve combination is not sealed to the cylinder with o-rings, but was press fit and if a press with the right diameter "push rod", which has to be softer than the sleeve material, isn't used, the sleeve could be damaged.

Craig

Hey Pesky,
If I recall correctly, this particular piston/sleeve combination is not sealed to the cylinder with o-rings, but was press fit and if a press with the right diameter "push rod", which has to be softer than the sleeve material, isn't used, the sleeve could be damaged.

Craig

I haven't seen one like that but if so, caution is needed. It might be possible to use a brass shim or slug, or leave the sleeve in place after removing the barrel. I just don't know what exactly he is dealing with. I mean, is there an oil pump, what type of oil pump, is the #3 piston raised by a push rod or cam....etc. With aid of a picture, some of the board members may zero in.

Stingray, it appears that you have a KA13-E. I would guess that the year is about 1971. The 3rd stg sleeve is O ring sealed and can be removed. The second stage valves consist of individual components, not capsules but you already know that.

If you need parts, some may be available. You will need the block number.
Point of contact is Bauer, Norfolk, Joe Lyons, ext 2227

Tell us about your progress. TIA

Last edited:
hey pesky, i let it pump up to 2300 psi then a loud snap from the 3rd stage. it started running smoother and cooler. the pressure kept building steadly and the 3rd stage was warm.mabe a valve opened up. prior to this i removed the piston and sanded it with 5ooo grit. was sliding smoothly.havent run it since cause of rain. mabe try it later. oil pump # K13-319 BLOCK 11071

craig, thanks for all the usefull info.im here i n st. aug. fla. just returned from a delivery and havent had much time to suss out all what i need. the utilus parts are all over the boat and im talking to bob mekus i ft. laud.about parts and manual to put humpty dumpty back together again.if i was more savey on the keyboard i would post more but ill just use the rolling of the boat as my excuse. thanx stingray 22, james

its been a while and my old utilus is up and running at its best ever, thanx to all your info , and pesky ,that strange bulb between 2 @ 3rd stage was stopped up. blew it out and that was it.cleaned up the valves since i was already knee deep. now the question of the final filter. it has the stainless cannister inside filled with charcoal. its only 1 inch x 6. not much room . can i just fill it with vaporshell 13x. do i need the waffers at each ends,what is the solution without adding more filtration. the standards for breathable air must have changed in the past 30 yrs. much thanx, james.

Back
Top Bottom