I came, I saw, I dove!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I wanted to go visit our son and his family in Eugene Oregon, so while making the plans, I contacted Eugene Skin Diving Supply about dive opportunities for while we were out there. John got my information, to include when I’d be able to dive, and arranged for Stephen to go diving with me on Monday, 22 March.
Monday I showed up at the dive shop, and met Stephen. We discussed what we’d do, we got tanks and lead (I’d brought my other dive gear from Ohio), and I even got a second wetsuit in case it was cold and I didn’t want to put my cold wet suit back on again for the second dive, so I’d have a dry one to use. I already had a second pair of gloves and a hood with me. The dive plan was first dive at the north Jetty in Florence at low tide, then over to Woahink Lake for a second dive. To use the same amount of lead for both dives, I planned on a steel 95 for the salt water dive, and an Al 80 for fresh water.
Then, we headed to Florence, about 65 miles west on the coast. We went to the Jetty, and got there early, while the tide was still going out. So, while waiting on the tide, we discussed the dive, our plan, and what to expect. Then we suited up, and walked down the entry and got in the water. We descended, then followed the contour around, and made our way to the crab hole. Deepest I saw for depth was 45 feet, but I still need to download my data and see if the computer captured a little deeper. Vis was about 10 feet, and some areas got pretty dark, so I wasn’t able to take many pictures, plus I had a fair bit of trouble operating the buttons with my thick gloves on. Temp was about 50-52. We did not see many crabs, a few hermit crabs mostly. I did get to see some barnacles. We exited the water after about 35 minutes.
After getting out of the gear and drying off, we drove to Woahink Lake. Entry point is just a small turn off from the road just after going over a bridge. While my wet wetsuit sat in the sun warming up, we discussed this dive location and what we’d see.
We got suited up, and entered from the shore. Told to expect even less visibility, I left my camera on the shore. The dive was shallow, water was about 50 to 53. Visibility was again about 10 feet, a little less in some spots. But, since we were shallower, I could have brought my camera after all. It would have been good to bring a photo of an underwater Kiss concert back to Ohio! We swam around seeing the sites, and exited the water after 45 minutes.
Since I was meeting the rest of the family in Florence, and doing some sightseeing along the coast, Stephen returned my tanks, lead, and unused second wetsuit to the shop for me.
Whenever I travel to Eugene to visit our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson, I plan on making a dive trip a part of the vacation. Next trip – Clear Lake (3,000’ altitude and 38 degree water). Or, maybe boat dives in the open ocean! Thanks, ESDS, you helped make a great vacation!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom