I built a mini Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwunder

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I like the look of some of the smaller reels like the defender pro so I thought I would take a crack at making one. I had 2.5" delrin so the spool is a little smaller diameter than normal, but I think it work. I haven't had a chance to measure the line length that fit on since loading it, but hoping for 100+ feet.

IMG_20171116_220850.jpg

IMG_20171116_220930.jpg

Fun little reel! Nice job.

Nice!
If you want to pack in the most line, look online for "kevlar kite string". Incredibly strong and thin.

Nice reel. Possible to have instructions on how to machine the handle and the Delrin?
Thinking of making a reel as well, but totally clueless as to where to start from.

Hmm...

Well, the Spool was turned on a metal working lathe. Started as a single piece of Delrin bar 2.5" diameter. I would have preferred 3" or 3.5", but its what I had on hand. The handle was cut from a single piece of 0.75" thick acrylic. I cut the rough using a wood bandsaw and then used my benchtop milling machine to square it up, cut the slots and chamfer the edges. I actually used a wood cutting router bit to chamfer the edges. Finally i used a drillpress and hand tap to thread the holes for the spindle bolt and lock bolt.

Hope that helps!

Nice!
If you want to pack in the most line, look online for "kevlar kite string". Incredibly strong and thin.
Some of the material online isn't nearly as strong as it is advertised as. I ordered some for work that was rated for "150 lbs+" and tested several samples that all broke around 75-80 lbs on an instron. Just worth keeping in mind.

Hmm...

Well, the Spool was turned on a metal working lathe. Started as a single piece of Delrin bar 2.5" diameter. I would have preferred 3" or 3.5", but its what I had on hand. The handle was cut from a single piece of 0.75" thick acrylic. I cut the rough using a wood bandsaw and then used my benchtop milling machine to square it up, cut the slots and chamfer the edges. I actually used a wood cutting router bit to chamfer the edges. Finally i used a drillpress and hand tap to thread the holes for the spindle bolt and lock bolt.

Hope that helps!
A shed full of power tools, I am jealous. Nice job

BRAV ! Great job !

In the genesis of recreational diving if product was not yet invented we invented it !
~~~~~~~~~~ or ~~~~~~~~~
If an item costs over a dollar we made it

You would have fit into the tribe

Keep up the good work and keep on posting your future efforts

Samuel Miller, III

Back
Top Bottom