I believe I may buy a Suunto Vytek...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
what would you guys/gals think of purchasing the Suunto Vytek off the internet? My only fear about buying a computer is when it's recalled. Wouldn't Suunto take the computer back even though it may not have valid warranty? Also, has the Suunto Vytek been reliable so far (ie. no recalls)? How long has it been out? I'm assuming since it similarly designed to the Vyper things should be fairly reliable (except maybe the programming behind the gas switching). I dove a Vyper in my OW and AOW class. Seems to be a nice computer (easy to read, opperate). The other computer I thought about purchasing is the Dive-Rite Nytek 3. For the same price I can go with the Suunto and get back-lighting and hoseless Air Integrated options later on. I do want gas switching for later on down the road when I get more technical.

oharag

PS anyone know of a good place to buy Suunto Computers? Leisurepro is out of these. Also, any place that sells on the internet that offers full Suunto warranties? It seems crazy that Scuba companies do not establish internet sales. You can reach so many more people this way (domestic/international). Is the LDS grip so powerful?

There was a Vytec recall, but it was over a year ago, and it's easy to compare serial numbers. The info should be on the Suunto website.

SimplyScuba in the UK usually have the best price for Vytecs, and they provide a full warranty if I recall correctly. That's where I bought mine from.

oharag once bubbled...
...PS anyone know of a good place to buy Suunto Computers? Leisurepro is out of these. Also, any place that sells on the internet that offers full Suunto warranties? It seems crazy that Scuba companies do not establish internet sales. You can reach so many more people this way (domestic/international). Is the LDS grip so powerful?

Try this

...couldn't find a deal on one with the transmitter, so I bought one without the transmitter (with 3 dives on it) for $400 with the intention of looking for a good price on a transmitter in the future.

Before it arrived, I found another Vytek on E-Bay with the transmitter and computer cable (brand new) for $750. I bought it.

Now I have a Vytec with the transmitter AND a spare (with no dives on it) that I can sell if I wish. Both are post-recall units and the one I've used has worked flawlessly (just used it again today)

if it isnt too late......i would recommend the genesis resource or if you are nitrox...the genesis react....
both solid...good company....good warrantee....owner changes batteries....go wrist mount...

good luck

That's pretty much the way to know.

If you have one that was not subject to the recall, then you're ok.

I bought mine online. The LDS that carries them around here wouldn't move on the price, so I went online and got it.

I love the thing; I've removed the wrist strap and replaced it with two loops of bungee (both more comfortable and provides insurance against a spring pin causing you to lose the computer)

A year ago, I bought a SmartPro from Scubastore. Then the recall came. I learned of it through an e-mail from Scubastore. I was a week and a half away from a trip to Fiji, so they accepted a return of the SmartPro for full purchase price credit against a computer of my choice. I ordered a Vytec. It arrived within 3 days. Can't recommend Scubastore highly enough.

Personally I wouldn't touch a vytec that wasn't from an authorized suunto dealer. I have seen many of them have to be returned to suunto. not necessarily prompting a recall, but I know one guy that has had four of them in 3 years. they can;t all be lemons. And that is all you need to hear from suunto is that they cannot honour any warranty because the computer wasn't purchased from an authorized dealer.

rescuediver009 once bubbled...
Personally I wouldn't touch a vytec that wasn't from an authorized suunto dealer. I have seen many of them have to be returned to suunto. not necessarily prompting a recall, but I know one guy that has had four of them in 3 years. they can;t all be lemons. And that is all you need to hear from suunto is that they cannot honour any warranty because the computer wasn't purchased from an authorized dealer.
The Vytec hasn't been on the market for 3 years. It was released around March/April 2002, which is only about 18 months ago.

I bought one through SimplyScuba in the UK. It started to read the wrong depth and I sent it back. I called after not hearing anything for 3 weeks. They said they had refused delivery because there was VAT due on it. I waited 2 more weeks for it to be returned. Then I put in a claim with the US postal service, I sent it insured, but no one knows were it went. USPS says expect an answer within 6 weeks. Bottom line is that I have been with out the computer for 2 months now and am torn between hoping they find the broken one, and getting an insurance check to buy a new one. All in all a PITA.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom