I am terrible at photography :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First off -- Its rare I ever take any decent pictures above ground... so why would underwater be any better :)

I wanted to try to take a few shots of the amazing things I see underwater to show some of my non-diving friends the amazing world they are missing out on so I purchased a DC-800 last week. (no strobes just the camera)

We had a pool dive last last night so I thought it would be a good practice for getting comfortable under the water with the camera. Indoor pool and not very deep at all.

Now I don't know if it was the low lights or what but no matter what "Sea" settings I tried everything came out very dark and also out of focus. The viewport on the back looked pretty good .... but not the pics :(

Now I didn't expect magazine quality pics -- In a couple weeks I am up in the Puget Sound again so I will try it in real world environments and see what happens.

I suppose I will read thru the manual again and hope it was just the weird lighting in indoor pool that made my first experience with the camera very depressing.

If anyone else has a resource for using the camera for complete idiots please send me the link :)

Was the port fogged?

Rule number 1, you really do need the external strobe.

Rule number 2, you need a wider field of view, these cameras, all of them come with lenses for terrestrial use an are simply to narrow for underwater use when you consider that everything underwater is magnified by 1.3 through the little flat ports. Why is this important?------> Rule number 3

Rule number 3, you absolutely must get close, a good wide angle lens will take the same picture from 3 feet distance that the standard lens needs 10 feet to see.

Rule number 4, the exposure must be correct for the intended effect.

I doubt the indoor pool was a good test.

N

I suck at photography too but I still come back form a vacation with several thousand pictures to go through :D.

Start out by using the camera on land and make sure you can take a picture that is in focus and well lit with the flash. If you can, then that is good. It means the camera works.

When putting the camera back into the housing, always do it in a cold and dry place (in front of an air conditioning vent is usually good) and make sure to run the cold/dry air over it before you seal the housing. This should help prevent the interior of the camera from fogging up mid-dive. If it comes back with no water in it then that means the housing works...that is good.

Then, if your dive count is correct at 0-24, put the camera aside and focus on diving and gaining more experience. I am only sort of kidding. Diving requires a heck of a lot of attention when we are starting out and adding an incredible distraction such as photography.....not necessarily a good thing. One of the most important things to good underwater photography is near-perfect buoyancy. Working against you is the fact that almost zero new divers have this and it take some 25, 50, 100, 350 dives to master it. You need to make sure that you can hold yourself still in the water column before trying to take pictures. Then you need to be aware that it is natural to hold your breath when lining up the picture. I think we can all agree that this is a NO NO in diving. Try it on land and you will catch yourself doing it. You need to get past that so you can control it and have it not happen.

But since most people do it anyways, you need to take a step back to when shooting pictures underwater. If the camera works well and give in focus shots on land, I would say it is one of three things: 1. the housing is fogged and thus the camera is not getting proper focus, 2. your buoyancy is not good and what you are seeing as out of focus is actually motion blur or 3. the water is too dark for the camera to properly focus. To fix these:

1. Assemble the camera housing as I described above and maybe put a moisture muncher in if there is room
2. Put the camera away and perfect your diving skills
3. Buy a strobe and a focus light.

Hopefully you can take something helpful from this.

I suck at photography too but I still come back form a vacation with several thousand pictures to go through :D.

+1

I follow the "Scorched Earth" philosophy of photography. That is I take a million shots and hope 100 turn out.

As it happens I am seeing an increase in the percentage of good shots as I go, until I read the pic threads here and...well don't be discouraged, just keep at it.

Yes I agree - I do need more dives but my buoyancy is decent enough for playing around.

One of the people at the pool trying to use the camera was an instructor -- His buoyancy is amazing and his pictures looked like he had the shakes :(

I am hoping it was just the weird light in the indoor pool -- In a couple weeks when I hit the water I will have more instructors try out the camera. Its just funny that a fellow diver with a cannon camera and no strobes can get decent pictures ... so I expect the Sealife camera to at least get the same.

If I have the settings right thus I will go thru the manual again before I try again or have the instructors give it a try.

My little Canon does fine in the pool, of course upon seeing in pictures all of the unidentified "floaties" I am not sure it or I will ever go into a pool again. There is a reason Canon and Nikon are synonymous with photography.

Don't assume a scuba instructor is any better at photography than you,they probably are not.

N

No reason to give up too quickly. We all suck when we first take a camera underwater. I need to qualify a few of the statements made earlier, especially the one saying you do need a strobe underwater. Truth is, you do need one for close-ups and once you get some depth where light levels are really low. Most importantly, though, you do need a strobe to get pictures that are actually nice as opposed to just OK. But from what you describe, there must be some other, more glaring problem. This is not normal. I've tried cameras in the pool, and while the pics are anything but exciting, you should at least be able to discern something, such as ... the pool. From what you describe, I have a hunch that the lighting in that pool was really dim. If on the other hand, the pool was very well-lit, there is something else going on, potentially a problem with your camera.

Show us some examples of the photos you got..... it seems that it's only a low light problem or you are not using the camera in the correct focus setting.

Brino.

First off -- Its rare I ever take any decent pictures above ground... so why would underwater be any better :)
A Colorado bud who is a real photographer wrote a nice article on SB about the how-tos of underwater shooting; I'll try to find it, or ask him. One of the points I do remember is learn to shoot on land, then use those skills underwater. I bluffed more with my earlier dive cameras, but actual study of the manual and practice are really essential. If you can't shoot decent pics on land, don't bother getting it wet.
Now I don't know if it was the low lights or what but no matter what "Sea" settings I tried everything came out very dark and also out of focus. The viewport on the back looked pretty good .... but not the pics :(
Low light is the biggest challenge. Did you try enhancing the pics on a computer program? I go thru mine one by one with Adobe's 3.2 Free Elements and prefer the manual fixing to the auto.
Now I didn't expect magazine quality pics -- In a couple weeks I am up in the Puget Sound again so I will try it in real world environments and see what happens.
:lol: Newbie, poor camera skills, Puget - nah!
Was the port fogged?
Good possibility. I've messed up by not soaking my camera before a dive. When the housing cools, the moisture inside tends to precipitate - worst on the coolest part, the lens!
Rule number 1, you really do need the external strobe.
With less than 24 dives?

Start out by using the camera on land and make sure you can take a picture that is in focus and well lit with the flash. If you can, then that is good. It means the camera works.
Yeah, me too - but it's still fun. Hasn't stopped me from sharing thousands of pics and hours of video. And, I really agree with the rest of your suggestions here...
When putting the camera back into the housing, always do it in a cold and dry place (in front of an air conditioning vent is usually good) and make sure to run the cold/dry air over it before you seal the housing. This should help prevent the interior of the camera from fogging up mid-dive. If it comes back with no water in it then that means the housing works...that is good.

Then, if your dive count is correct at 0-24, put the camera aside and focus on diving and gaining more experience. I am only sort of kidding. Diving requires a heck of a lot of attention when we are starting out and adding an incredible distraction such as photography.....not necessarily a good thing. One of the most important things to good underwater photography is near-perfect buoyancy. Working against you is the fact that almost zero new divers have this and it take some 25, 50, 100, 350 dives to master it. You need to make sure that you can hold yourself still in the water column before trying to take pictures. Then you need to be aware that it is natural to hold your breath when lining up the picture. I think we can all agree that this is a NO NO in diving. Try it on land and you will catch yourself doing it. You need to get past that so you can control it and have it not happen.

But since most people do it anyways, you need to take a step back to when shooting pictures underwater. If the camera works well and give in focus shots on land, I would say it is one of three things: 1. the housing is fogged and thus the camera is not getting proper focus, 2. your buoyancy is not good and what you are seeing as out of focus is actually motion blur or 3. the water is too dark for the camera to properly focus. To fix these:

1. Assemble the camera housing as I described above and maybe put a moisture muncher in if there is room
2. Put the camera away and perfect your diving skills
3. Buy a strobe and a focus light.

Hopefully you can take something helpful from this.

+1

I follow the "Scorched Earth" philosophy of photography. That is I take a million shots and hope 100 turn out.

As it happens I am seeing an increase in the percentage of good shots as I go, until I read the pic threads here and...well don't be discouraged, just keep at it.
Yeah, use large cards, fresh batteries, shoot shoot shoot, cull later.
Yes I agree - I do need more dives but my buoyancy is decent enough for playing around.

One of the people at the pool trying to use the camera was an instructor -- His buoyancy is amazing and his pictures looked like he had the shakes :(

I am hoping it was just the weird light in the indoor pool -- In a couple weeks when I hit the water I will have more instructors try out the camera. Its just funny that a fellow diver with a cannon camera and no strobes can get decent pictures ... so I expect the Sealife camera to at least get the same.

If I have the settings right thus I will go thru the manual again before I try again or have the instructors give it a try.
Skip the Instructors and learn from the buddy who is shooting. Many Insts don't.

Do you dive with a pony? Really easy to lose a buddy in Puget waters. Most of my visit included diving with experienced locals in trios with the others watching out of me even with my pony, but my last day was with one local for a bud - both of us following our cameras, so we kept losing each other in the murk. I strongly suggested he start slinging one as camera shooters can be the worst buds.

As helpful as a External Flash can be, I did dive Puget without mine as I was just not totally confident in my combined skills - and I got in close enough to get some fun shots.

Not to be forgotten! Who have you insured the camera with? I like State Farm's Personal Article policy far more than Depp's or Dan's equipment coverages. All cameras flood, it's just a matter of time - but new owners are more at risk for losing theirs.

Have fun, don't give up, keep diving - and take the camera on the easist dive. :eyebrow:

Can you post one of these pictures online? If not, can you email it to me?

I can pretty well tell what the problem is by looking at it.

I am not an expert at underwater photography, but I was a photo pro for 10 years and have take 40K+ pictures over the last 4 years.

Not trying to sound like a know it all, but it really can only be a couple of things.

Back
Top Bottom