I am really trying!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicago, but dive in FL. Not true anymore, as I di
# of dives
200 - 499
I brought my two steel LP 77 tanks in for their "required" annual inspection to a LDS here in the Chicago area. No names will be used. This was on Sunday, 30 March. It might have been earlier. The owner's son told me they would be ready on Wednesday 2 April.

Guess what?? They are still not done! I did call earlier in the month and was told they were not finished but would be by Monday 14 April. Now this is Thursday 24 April and I just stopped in but they STILL have not been done. The owner and his wife were just sitting around when I walked in. He promised me the tanks would be done tonight.

I am seriously thinking about getting some appropriate labels printed up and doing this work myself.

Last year I wanted two sets of quick releases for my computer console and I ordered them from this LDS. I need two because I transfer the console between two regulator sets. I ordered them more than one month before my dive trip. The LDS didn't even order them from their supplier until one week before my trip. Of course I called that day to come and pick them up. Eventually I received them, but it was after my trip.

And these people want me to buy serious equipment from them? I also doubt whether I will bring my now 11 year-old daughter to them for Jr. OW classroom & closed water instruction.

I really have tried to patronize the local brick & mortar establishments here in the Chicago area but they, by their actions, appear to not want my business.

I'll stick with the two Florida dive shops that DO want my business, as well as several on-line retailers.

It is just their laziness or lack of ability for an appropriate VIP job. Please give us some clue about your LDS for the future potential divers in your area.

Contact, Mike at DRIS.

I searched PADI Dive Center and Resort Directory and found 26 dive stores just for PADI, in the Chicago area. I'm sure there are others, that are with other agencies. It sounds like the OP is trolling.

I searched PADI Dive Center and Resort Directory and found 26 dive stores just for PADI, in the Chicago area. I'm sure there are others, that are with other agencies. It sounds like the OP is trolling.

No, the OP is not trolling, merely relating his experiences. As of this moment, the OP has not found one dive shop in the Chicago area that isn't trying to rip him off or does treat him like he knows something about this sport in which he has participated for the last 38 years.

The closest shop where he is treated with respect is in Racine, Wisconsin. However, with gasoline prices what they are, he doesn't get to Racine very often.

If someone wants specifics, that person can PM the OP.

<snip> It sounds like the OP is trolling.
I disagree. Venting maybe, but not trolling.

Gary is one of the folks I'd not slap with that pejorative.

All the best, James

OK, now, I picked up these two tanks this afternoon. Twelve dollars each with an air fill.

Back
Top Bottom