I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is this documented? I tried searching the web and didn't find anything about having to get a newly signed waiver every year. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering where it is stated that it's necessary.

This thread was ongoing as of a few days days: Yes/No requirement for Med form

It started out discussing the Yes / No nature of the medical statement, but covers the ambiguity of defining what is truly "required".

I suspect diving with CP is going to be far beyond merely ticking boxes on someone's "don't sue me" waiver.

The only reasonable way I see to do it is through diveheart. If he can get them engaged... I don't know how diveheart works, but unless it's a charity that's paying for everything - this is likely to be an expensive endeavor. Consider that if you're in perfect health you're looking at $300 plus gear, plus boat rides, and since he's landlocked that also means a road trip or airplane ride and lodging at his chosen destination. The photos and videos I've seen of diveheart dives seem to include a lot of support staff. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do a private charter each time.

Diving is expensive even for those of us fortunate enough to live in Florida (or California or some other dive destination).

As @diversteve said, if $15 is even a small concern this isn't likely to happen.

Could possibly be solved with a well promoted gofundme or other online crowdfunding campaign.

The 1 year is the length pf time the FORM is valid after a Dr. signs it. So it covers any DSD or Certification commenced within that time.

My whole point was that since the OP is concerned that he can be medically cleared to dive - and has the appt. - for $15 he'll know. Compared to wondering for the next several years while he plans for it.

Even if it takes longer thru Diveheart or another organization at least it won't be a waste of time to pursue it only to find out he can't. Or his sister.

I got medically cleared to dive in 1981.
I've signed a lot of shop waivers - including 2 LOB's and no one has asked for a new medical clearance. There's a thread started this week that indicates that Red Sea liva aboards may require one

It may be different in the OP's case since it could be the limiting factor in his diving - that's probably on his doctor or someone she refers him to - not all MD's have hyperbaric medicine training.

I suspect diving with CP is going to be far beyond merely ticking boxes on someone's "don't sue me" waiver.

The only reasonable way I see to do it is through diveheart. If he can get them engaged... I don't know how diveheart works, but unless it's a charity that's paying for everything - this is likely to be an expensive endeavor. Consider that if you're in perfect health you're looking at $300 plus gear, plus boat rides, and since he's landlocked that also means a road trip or airplane ride and lodging at his chosen destination. The photos and videos I've seen of diveheart dives seem to include a lot of support staff. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do a private charter each time.

Diving is expensive even for those of us fortunate enough to live in Florida (or California or some other dive destination).

As @diversteve said, if $15 is even a small concern this isn't likely to happen.

Could possibly be solved with a well promoted gofundme or other online crowdfunding campaign.

The $15 is really only a concern right now, beginning of next year my parents should have their cars paid off and also my mom got hurt at work we ended up falling a bit behind on the mortgage and the the last of thouse fees should be paid off early next year as well. My parents said that if they can start saving money next year we can see about taking actal vacations the following year, Hawaii was mentioned a few times.

As far as our CP, my sis and I pretty high functioning for people with CP. From outwardly the only way you could tell something was amiss with me is if you saw me walk (I walk with a bit of limp) or I was wearing shorts and you could see my knee braces, aside from a minor speech impediment I look and sound perfectly normal sitting down. For my sister it a bit more obvious something is amiss because she has some scars on her right arm and leg from the surgeries she had when she was younger, she also has a bit of a limp, but her left arm and leg work perfectly fine and her mind still works clearly and the like. If are able to go with Diveheart we might find with a few gear changes and swimming technique changes we might be be over all self sufficient in the water or we might find that we need significant assistance in the water and if we want to continue diving we would need to plan trips around HSA or Diveheart trips. The only way to know is to try.

The 1 year is the length pf time the FORM is valid after a Dr. signs it. So it covers any DSD or Certification commenced within that time.

My whole point was that since the OP is concerned that he can be medically cleared to dive - and has the appt. - for $15 he'll know. Compared to wondering for the next several years while he plans for it.

Even if it takes longer thru Diveheart or another organization at least it won't be a waste of time to pursue it only to find out he can't. Or his sister.

I got medically cleared to dive in 1981.
I've signed a lot of shop waivers - including 2 LOB's and no one has asked for a new medical clearance.

It may be different in the OP's case since it could be the limiting factor in his diving - that's probably on his doctor or someone she refers him to - not all MD's have hyperbaric medicine training.
Well what happens if I get cleared, then get certified, then 2 years later I dive at a place somewhere and have to fill out that first page form and answer YES to having asthma? Will my waiver be invalid since it's over a year old? Or will they not care since I'll have my certification card with me and know that I was cleared to get certified?

That's where my confusion is. Your example says it would be invalid for DSD or certification if it's over a year later, but then you say you signed shop waivers and no one asked you for a new medical clearance.

Asthma - as I understand it - is different since it's contra-indicated for diving.

I'm no expert but I do have friends with mild asthma who dive. IDK them well enough to know their specifics.

I believe to answer the form honestly you'd probably have to get a new clearance from your doctor each time.

but that's conjecture on my part.

some info here may help:
DAN | Search

I didn't have any medical conditions that would preclude me from diving - if I did - I would certainly get medical clearance regularly, I have a DM friend who loved diivng, Went with us on several trips. She got bent once on one, once a couple years later on a vacation and had to give up diving after doing it for about a decade.

Hawaii was mentioned a few times.

As far as our CP, my sis and I pretty high functioning for people with CP. From outwardly the only way you could tell something was amiss with me is if you saw me walk (I walk with a bit of limp) or I was wearing shorts and you could see my knee braces, aside from a minor speech impediment I look and sound perfectly normal sitting down. For my sister it a bit more obvious something is amiss because she has some scars on her right arm and leg from the surgeries she had when she was younger, she also has a bit of a limp, but her left arm and leg work perfectly fine and her mind still works clearly and the like. If are able to go with Diveheart we might find with a few gear changes and swimming technique changes we might be be over all self sufficient in the water or we might find that we need significant assistance in the water and if we want to continue diving we would need to plan trips around HSA or Diveheart trips. The only way to know is to try.
I'm not going to attempt to evaluate your issues but your sister's weakness should be able to be compensated for with at most an inflator hose switch and some accommodation to drop weights while for you - I think access to the water might be an issue - easily overcome since HSA certified shops exist all over.

Since you mentioned Hawaii - Lahaina Divers on Maui is one. They also have big dive boats with wide swim platforms.
Your leg weakness could be compensated for by doing more "finning" with your hands - most divers don't but there's a post here somewhere about webbed gloves for that purpose. Split-fins might make more sense also - they're eaier to kick and the design promotes more forward thrust. Not so good for backing up in tight spaces but paddle fins are hard on the legs. There's also different kicks you can try depending on where the strength is in your legs. I use split-fins since I have a bad knee They do cost almost twice as much since there's a license fee for the tech but worth it IMO.

You can also be selective about dives - for example you'd have trouble on high current dives where you have to fight the current in one direction but some drift dives might suit as you fall in the water, drop to depth and ride the current - the boat follows your bubbles and picks you up when you surface.

Also most shops do DSD and new certification dives afternoons - often in locations where the depth doesn't reach 50' to the bottom.

Diveheart has posts showing double amputee's diving - with boarding assistance.

Closer to home, the Keys are good, shallow, low current dives. If you do wind up depth limited, more to see.

Lakes are all low current - except the Great Lekes. Some are clear some are mudholes.

There's almost nothing that can't be accommodated physically if you want to try - there's even a couple blind divers on the board.

Give us a general idea (city) where you live and how far you can currently travel - someone may be able to find a local resource you can contact.

I maybe missed it. How old are you?

So...
I've been giving this some thought for a few days. We have a family member who is very low functioning CP. I get that you want some freedom and something more than staring at a computer screen. But I don't think your goal is insurmountable.

Here's what I'll offer... because I know finances suck. If you can get to Florida, house and feed yourself and if your doctor says you can do some limited diving like 1 ata (33') I'll do your class, cover the online costs and take care of gear rental. I'll even cover the cost of the dives. You just have to cover your room and board and transportation. There's no deadline to this, so if you're interested, start saving your money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom