I am going to KL/SG/Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabass

Reaction score
Any suggestions for reputable dive operations in phuket. I would like to get Nitrox and maybe do a rescue and AOW course.

In Singapore, I always do my courses with Gideon from Living Seas. I don't trust anybody else when it comes to courses; in fact I will be doing my Nitrox course with him in September.

He can be contacted through email: gideon@livingseas.com.sg. You can also call him at +65-64350436 or +65-96386808. They also arrange trips to Malaysian dive destinations.

There are also other operators which are supposed to be good (according to my diver friends):

Marsden Brothers' (email Jason at marsbros@pacific.net.sg or call him at +65-64750050)

Edwin from Scuba Connection (scubadive@pacific.net.sg, +65-6372 0200)

Fisherman Scuba Studio scubastudio@pacific.net.sg, +65-96268904, +65-68830311 - Douglas Yeo

Whatever you choose, avoid Sea-Bees on Chalong.

They used to be very good, out of personal experience, then the owner changed, and the person I had recommended the centre to was very disappointed.

you can try the kata beach club, but then they dive from the beach, shallow and not much to see, as told to me by a guy exiting the water in his dive gear.

i did mine through marina divers, they now have 3 boats, 1 of which does day trips to the similans!

a lot of the other dive shops/clubs use their boats, so go to the top and not the bottom!!

www.marinadivers.com, i think, but check my site and it is in the links, there are also photo's from thailand to see (topside and below)

There are a lot of diving schools in Phuket, and the quality of the course you do basically depends on the instructor. Since Nitrox is not yet very common in Phuket, you have to make sure the school you're visiting is offering this course.

Since the daytrip boats leave from Chalong, it makes sense to find a dive operator in the Chalong/Kata/Karon area. In this area I know for sure Calypso (www.calypsophuket.com), Dive Asia (www.diveasia.com) and Phuket Pro Dive (www.phuket-scuba-diving.com) offer Nitrox courses.

Singapore is reputed to have the best prices for dive gears.

Usual concentrate of dive equipment shops -

Oceanic & ScubaPro - The Concourse
others - Lucky Plaza (best to check around the prices)

As far as I know, Dive Asia Phuket has won some PADI awards during the last ADEX in Singapore and they are a CDC center.

As for the dive gear, do check out Living Seas in Singapore.

I ended up diving with Dive Asia (my friend picked them). On the way to the boat we picked up divers from a few other hotels but from other dive shops as well. I am not sure if that means that those other dive shops used dive asia or not, but it seemed that way. Everything was adequate. The boat was fine, there was a fresh water rinse. Lunch was ok, there weren't a lot of snacks though. The fills were at first very short (2500 psi instead of 3000 psi) but they topped them off. The primary thing that I wasn't too happy with was the dive master. He didn't really have much regard for safety as I understand safety. Things he did that I didn't feel comfortable with

Our group was 3 divers and the DM.

1) Planned to send people to the surface by themselves as they ran out of air.

2) No buddy groups, just one big group. I tried to keep track of people but couldn't tell if someone left the group because they ran out of air or not.

3) He had a tendency to just swim ahead without looking at the group to make sure everyone was there and ok.

3) On our first dive the first diver (my buddy) went up because he ran out of air (he is an airpig, I will last for 45-50 minutes he is out of air in about 15 minutes). The third guy (loosely the DM's buddy) and I were following the DM and the DM just disappeared as we rounded the corner of the king fisher. We waited for him to come back but he never did. We tried looking for him and couldn't find him. After the dive he said that we didn't follow the plan (which we both thought that we had).

4) On the third dive we lost the guy that was loosely buddied with the dive master. The dive master was swimming ahead very quickly in strong current and I couldn't catch up to him to ask where the other guy went. After the dive my buddy and I both said we noticed when we lost the guy but the current was strong and we were struggling to keep up with the DM. The guy who got lost was very pissed off.

I tried very hard to keep track of my buddy and the dive master, but in the end I would have been much happier to not have the dive master at all. I prefer not to swim so fast and get a close look at things.

The only other boat experience I have is the MV spree at the flower gardens. That boat was very good and had really good procedures. This boat was good and the DM was poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom