I am at a fork in the gear configuration road...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY, I have certainly tried to meetup with the divevets, I guess the weather just has not worked out in my favor :( I am going to see if I can get out to dive with them this upcoming Saturday. We shall see...

Herman, thanks for the input.

Jorgy, you raise a good point about about the 5+# weight difference, which would be all the more apparent during the entry. However, I think as Rainer discussed earlier the ability to get two medium depth dives out of the larger single tank without need for an exit and entry is more what I am looking for currently. Perhaps in the future, I will find that an HP 100 will be a worthwhile addition to my collection of gear. Right now I am not quite sure where it would fit.

If you do meet up with the Divevet's crew say hi to Phil and Merry for me. I've been trying to get down there now ever since bug season started but things have gotten in the way. I want to do a dive at OML.
Maybe I'll get away in January and make it down.

If you can get 2 solid dives from a HP120.......then get 2 AL63's - they are about the easiest tanks (light and short) to move around on land and for entries and exits.......

Don't forget the weight of the gas itself.....a HP120 will weigh over 50 lbs filled....

A AL63 weighs about 33 lbs full......

Someone should check my math, I recall that in a AL80 (77 CF gas) the gas weighs 8 lbs........

Of course you already have 2 Steel 72's....so have we come full circle........:)

M

Now I am shore diving in California, entering and exiting the ocean and using a drysuit. I have to carry a lot more lead (not only to off set the drysuit but also due to the increased density of the brine). Thus I am thinking of upgrading to a bp/w configuration. Steel I think is the way to go.

You'll like steel, but I'd switch to a single larger tank, not doubles.

If you're doing challenging shore entries, doubles are wider and easier to get off balance with while standing due to their wider distribution of mass, and just about impossible to recover from once you start to fall.

There's no real advantage to switching to a BP/W if you're happy with your current BC. I own both and neither really stands out as "better" for single tank diving.

Terry

If you're doing challenging shore entries, doubles are wider and easier to get off balance with while standing due to their wider distribution of mass, and just about impossible to recover from once you start to fall.

Do you do a lot of challenging shore entries with doubles? I do here in SoCal. With big waves, doubles are often actually easier to deal with as you have more mass that keeps you from getting thrown around. On uneven footing or for long hikes, though, singles are much easier to move around in.

If you can get 2 solid dives from a HP120.......then get 2 AL63's - they are about the easiest tanks (light and short) to move around on land and for entries and exits.......

I actually can't think of a worse cylinder choice for SoCal than an AL63, but thanks for playing. The OP already has steel LP72s, so you're suggesting cylinders with LESS gas, and that weigh MORE once you figure in the buoyancy of the cylinders (+6 for the ALs over the steels). The point of getting a large steel (e.g. HP130) is that it works for (1) boat dives (deep or shallow, especially when you can only get 3000psi fills), (2) deep shore dives (e.g. Vet's or LJ Shores, both of which exceed 100' easily), and (3) for ALSO getting two (or more) shallow shore dives. Your suggestion for an AL63 (barely) only covers (3) above, which the 72s already do (and better: more gas and less weight on the belt).

I am not sure I follow when you say " get two medium depth dives out of the larger single tank without need for an exit and entry". When I finish a dive I exit the water. I may not switch cylinders before re-entering for my next dive. Are you saying just hang on the surface for 30-60 minutes??

Yeah, I don't get that either. I'd still exit after a dive. The point is, I don't need to switch over cylinders, haul a second cylinder, or pay for a second fill if I can get two dives off the larger cylinder. The weight really isn't an issue if you're in decent physical shape. I personally know a good number of smaller women diving HP130s here through the surf.

I'd start with the 120. Depending on how tall you are, if you're over 5'10" consider the 7 1/4" Dia. tall and skinny 3442 120. Seems like all the bug divers on the boats down there love those because of the narrow profile as opposed to the shorter fatter tanks.
I bought one of the tall 120's and love it. I'm going to get another one I think.

And just for the other perspective, I absolutely hate the length of the HP120s. I'm 6'0" and consider them too long (3-4" longer than an AL80). I can't imagine people significantly shorter enjoying them as much as a HP130 (8" dia, same height as an AL80). We often share/loan cylinders among friends here, and so most of us in our group keep HP130s to make that easier for divers of all sizes. The HP130s also seem to have better resale value, and are a more manageable height for those ever looking to double them up. Oh, and they hold a bit more gas. :)

Do you do a lot of challenging shore entries with doubles?

I've done enough to know that I like it better with a single tank. Big slippery rocks and a top-heavy diver are a bad combination.

Terry

If you do meet up with the Divevet's crew say hi to Phil and Merry for me. I've been trying to get down there now ever since bug season started but things have gotten in the way. I want to do a dive at OML.
Maybe I'll get away in January and make it down.
Hi Eric. I have a tall skinny 3500 120 for $125 if you want it. It's a great tank, but I tend to use more air than Merry and was considering replacing it with a 130.

Back
Top Bottom