I am at a fork in the gear configuration road...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asymmetries

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I would ask the great wise internet to help me make a decision between several paths in upgrading my current scuba gear.

What I have:
Scubapro knighthawk bcd
dui cf200 drysuit
3 mm wetsuit (for travel to warm waters)
1 set of yoke 1st, 2nd, and octo regs
2x steel lp 72 tanks
can light
fins, mask, knife, etc.

I had previously been doing wetsuit (7mm and 5mm) lake and quarry shore dives in the midwest, so a single 72 was good for one dive, then surface interval and then go again with the second tank.

Now I am shore diving in California, entering and exiting the ocean and using a drysuit. I have to carry a lot more lead (not only to off set the drysuit but also due to the increased density of the brine). Thus I am thinking of upgrading to a bp/w configuration. Steel I think is the way to go.

Here now is the question, double the lp 72s or just get a single hp steel tank? :idk:

I realize the benefits of having the redundancy of the dual primary and dual secondary regs as well as the benefits of the dual tanks. However, I am not making exceedingly challenging dives. The real reason I am looking to increase my air supply is that it is rather inconvenient getting into and out of the water. Thus with either the larger tank or the doubled 72's I can just stay on the bottom longer or make the second dive without having to do an exit and entry, which take air and effort in and of themselves especially given that the ocean is much more dynamic than the lakes especially in terms of the surface swims.

However, I am still of two minds concerning the bp/w route. I mean I like my knighthawk, and simply purchasing a new large hp 120 could be the end of it. :idk:

Anyway, I guess I am opening for public comment on my gear upgrade decision.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of backplates and wings, but if your current BC is fitting all your needs, stick with it (especially if you don't go to doubles). As far as the cylinders, a large HP single is plenty for "recreational" shore dives. We have both HP100s and HP130s, and each has its place. If I were only going to buy one cylinder, I'd make it a HP130 (in large part due to some local boats only filling to 3000psi). It's also useful for getting a couple of shallower dives (Laguna, Malibu) from just one cylinder. Keep the 72s for shallow sites, especially those with longer / more complicated hikes (e.g. PV). Doubles are over-kill for "recreational" diving in SoCal assuming you have squared away buddies.

My dive buddies really suck...as in have horrible SAC rates...It's nice to have redundancy for those occasions when they get low on gas....I second the BP/W for it's simplicity, my wife had the ladyhawk BC, which is similar, and I used to feel so sorry for her when she would gear up. She would have to adjust the shoulder straps, the cumberbun, and the sternum strap almost every dive while I would just stand.................waiting.................in my BP/W. She has since crossed over and loves the freedom of not needing to make so many adjustments before every dive....

I'd start with the 120. Depending on how tall you are, if you're over 5'10" consider the 7 1/4" Dia. tall and skinny 3442 120. Seems like all the bug divers on the boats down there love those because of the narrow profile as opposed to the shorter fatter tanks.
I bought one of the tall 120's and love it. I'm going to get another one I think.

Maybe with the plate you can befriend someone down there that owns one and try it out, or rent one at one of the many dive shops. Talk to Bill at Hollywoodivers, maybe he has something you can use to see if you want to go that route.

For now I'd just use the Jacket. It works fine I'm sure. The important thing is to get out there and dive and not obsess too much over dive gear.

Hang on to those 72's. they come in darn handy for a quick bug dive off Malibu or PV.

The important thing is to get out there and dive and not obsess too much over dive gear.

I completely agree. I have already been out diving with two insta-buddies I met on the shore. One was an unqualified success...the other...well let's just say I learned a great deal in a short amount of time. I don't have any buddies squared away. I met one through work, but he is moving to Thailand in about a month. My hope is that simply showing up enough at popular dive sites will win me some. Though if this tactic does not yield results, well don't be surprised if fliers advertising for buddies start showing up in the Los Angeles area... :shakehead:

Anyway, thank you all for the advice. The general consensus seems to be that I just hold onto what I have and then go out and pick up a big tank. :D

Then transition to a bp/w setup after giving it a few tries.

Thanks again for the input.

The divevets crew dives Vet's every wednesday night and then dives Old Marineland every Sunday morning. Check those guys out.

Get on the Great Escape.
Capt. Tim is running some great deals on Catalina trips.

Go with the single larger tank. With doubles you are going to have to spend a lot in gear besides the tank- manifold,BP, wing and bands. More that likely you will still want a single tank or 2 for other dives which means buying another tank or 2 if you double the 72's. If you go the BP route, keep your BC for warm or single tank diving, you will want it.

Have you considered an HP100 tank?

5 lbs lighter than the HP120 so easier for entries and exits......

Less air but if your SAC is low then plenty for most rec dives.......

It seems that many experienced divers can run out of bottom time on even an AL80 before they run low on air....

They are very popular tanks at least around here.....

M

Have you considered an HP100 tank?

5 lbs lighter than the HP120 so easier for entries and exits......

Less air but if your SAC is low then plenty for most rec dives.......

It seems that many experienced divers can run out of bottom time on even an AL80 before they run low on air....

They are very popular tanks at least around here.....

M

ZKY, I have certainly tried to meetup with the divevets, I guess the weather just has not worked out in my favor :( I am going to see if I can get out to dive with them this upcoming Saturday. We shall see...

Herman, thanks for the input.

Jorgy, you raise a good point about about the 5+# weight difference, which would be all the more apparent during the entry. However, I think as Rainer discussed earlier the ability to get two medium depth dives out of the larger single tank without need for an exit and entry is more what I am looking for currently. Perhaps in the future, I will find that an HP 100 will be a worthwhile addition to my collection of gear. Right now I am not quite sure where it would fit.

I am not sure I follow when you say " get two medium depth dives out of the larger single tank without need for an exit and entry". When I finish a dive I exit the water. I may not switch cylinders before re-entering for my next dive. Are you saying just hang on the surface for 30-60 minutes??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom