I Almost Killed A Child

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It come down to how much risk one is willing to take. Playing chicken with even the smallest car is too risky for me as I WILL lose 99% of the time regardless of who's fault it is.

IMO the blame is can be equally shared between drivers and pedestrians. Drivers are in a hurry driving fast, in their phone booth, having lunch or doing some other thing that is distracting while the pedestrians, also in a hurry, walk out into the street without looking.

I don't want to hit anyone or be hit and do my best to keep it that way regardless of whether I'm driving or walking. Unfortunately accidents do happen and I always hope for the best.

Al Mialkovsky:
Jax the deal is you've already stated that you have a problem driving slow and have deflected all blame to the boy, so you weren't driving slow.

I am pretty sure that this particular scenario was fictional, and he was just asking for information. His English is a bit hard to understand.

DA Aquamaster:
I had a deer run into the side of my car once. He was more concerned with where the female he was pursuing was going that he was with where he was going. She darted in front of my hard braking but not quite stopped car and he ran right into the drivers side door, looked at me in a bit of a daze and then ran off again. He did a bit over $700 in damage.

At that point, I believe that it is entirely within reason to turn the offending buck into jerky. :wink:

Of course, I am in Kansas, where if you strike a deer and kill it, the next driver to pull up is liable to ask "You gonna eat that?"

Creed:
I am pretty sure that this particular scenario was fictional, and he was just asking for information. His English is a bit hard to understand.
He said the kid ran into his mirror. But you're right, tough to follow.

I believe you will find most if not all 50 states to be pretty uniform on the rules. In addition to your example, pedestrians have the right-of-way in parking lots.

RIDIVER501:
I would check on that Blanket statement of pedestrians having the right of way becuase that isn't entirely true and how it is applied varies from state to state.
Here in the good ole sate of RI.
Pedestrians have the right of way in uncontrolled crosswalks, which means that they only have the right of way over a car in a cross walk that does not have a "walk/Don't walk" light. If they are in a cross walk with a light they have to obey that light and not cross when the light says don't cross. Additionally, if they aren't in a cross walk at all then they are J-walking which opens up a whole other can of worms. but suffice it to say in RI when J-walking a pedestrian doesn't have the right of way.
I would check with your states DMV on that statement becuase there are rules out there that pedestrians are supposed to abide by.

Creed:

Well, that's Malaysian English. Alright :wink: Nvm, I'm Chinese ed since small and only pickup English when I was halfway through primary skol. Naturally, a lot of different language, mixing up of the grammars and also the style.

Anyway, yes the scenario that I gave was fictional. Because over here, the law is with the pedestrians and not the drivers. I just want to know, how would that scenario be judged.

Creed:
At that point, I believe that it is entirely within reason to turn the offending buck into jerky. :wink:

Of course, I am in Kansas, where if you strike a deer and kill it, the next driver to pull up is liable to ask "You gonna eat that?"
A few years ago here there was a bill introduced here to provide a legal way for a motorist to dress out and eat their road kill. I like venison as much as the next guy, but I had a hard time with this idea. Never heard if it passed or not.

DA Aquamaster:
A few years ago here there was a bill introduced here to provide a legal way for a motorist to dress out and eat their road kill. I like venison as much as the next guy, but I had a hard time with this idea. Never heard if it passed or not.

I've seen from accidents in which the deer(or cow, which happens a bit in Kansas) is almost unharmed(aside from being dead and all). If the deer gets clipped in the head, for example, you may end up throwing away a whole carcass for nothing. Of course, it also depends on the state of the deer at the time of death. If it was pumped full of adrenaline, I hear that the meat tastes funny.
Some people around here also tan hides, so that's a good thing to do, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom