I Almost Killed A Child

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaX NeMo

Registered
Reaction score
Happened at 5pm, I almost killed a child while driving. If I do killed the child, I would not be sitting for my final exam tomorrow.

The mother never hold the child's hand and let the child follow her just like that, and it's a very narrow road, and the mother doesn't want to use the pavement infront of the shoplots.

I was like braking and swerving so heavily that I almost banged into parked cars. Still, the child knocked into my side mirror.

What is wrong with the world these days?

JaX NeMo:
Happened at 5pm, I almost killed a child while driving. If I do killed the child, I would not be sitting for my final exam tomorrow.

The mother never hold the child's hand and let the child follow her just like that, and it's a very narrow road, and the mother doesn't want to use the pavement infront of the shoplots.

I was like braking and swerving so heavily that I almost banged into parked cars. Still, the child knocked into my side mirror.

What is wrong with the world these days?

People are in too much of a hurry and drive too fast for conditions.

DennisS:
That's a little harsh and you lack adequate information to make that statement.

I suppose you could theoretically drive around slow enough to be able to stop in the event of kids darting in front of you, but at 5-10 miles per hour you would cause more accidents than you prevent given your obstruction of traffic.

Drivers need to avoid creating a reckless condition, but pedestrians (and their parents) have a responsibility as well to maintain some degree of prudence when crossing a street - you can't just automatically blame it on the driver or assume that if a near accident happened, the driver was at fault for over driving the road conditions.

DennisS:

People are in too much of a hurry and often type too fast for conditions.

Edit: Sorry DA....didn't see your post! :wink:

I had a similar situation last week, in my area pedestrian have the right of way in the cross walks, which is fine except there are those that think they can just cross the street with out looking. I don't think they relize how much it hurts when a car hits them even if they could get a lawyer to win the lawsuit for them.
The worst part is these are Princeton University students who are supposed to be fairly intelligent.
You really have to be aware when driving through there even if you are moving at a glacial pace.

DA Aquamaster:
That's a little harsh and you lack adequate information to make that statement.

I suppose you could theoretically drive around slow enough to be able to stop in the event of kids darting in front of you, but at 5-10 miles per hour you would cause more accidents than you prevent given your obstruction of traffic.

Drivers need to avoid creating a reckless condition, but pedestrians (and their parents) have a responsibility as well to maintain some degree of prudence when crossing a street - you can't just automatically blame it on the driver or assume that if a near accident happened, the driver was at fault for over driving the road conditions.

He asked what is wrong with the world. I answered. I see it every day, drivers cutting across lanes inches in front of the other driver and racing through red lights because they are in a hurry. I've had drivers pass while I was doing the speed limit in a 30 mph residential area at 50 because they were in a hurry. If it was an adult on a bicycle instead of a child would he have hit the bicylcist with his mirror.

sdstahl:
I had a similar situation last week, in my area pedestrian have the right of way in the cross walks, which is fine except there are those that think they can just cross the street with out looking. I don't think they relize how much it hurts when a car hits them even if they could get a lawyer to win the lawsuit for them.
The worst part is these are Princeton University students who are supposed to be fairly intelligent.
You really have to be aware when driving through there even if you are moving at a glacial pace.
We must live in the same "area". :)

Nassau street is the worst place to drive on earth, I am convinced.

Well, I ain't going very fast at that point. Cause I just picked up my mum from the office and was driving off down the road.

People just don't really treassure their life anymore do they?

Any possibility of me sueing the mum for causing emotional distress and trauma in me for failure to take care of her child's safety and win?

Anyway, I was always reminded that I am a lucky child.

JaX NeMo:
Any possibility of me sueing the mum for causing emotional distress and trauma in me for failure to take care of her child's safety and win?
Maybe they should sue you since you still struck the child?

Drive slow enough that you can stop in an emergency, that's a good rule to live by. Doesn't have to be less than 10 mph.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom