hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Per peer-reviewed research from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine: HBOT can increase stem-cell production up to 8X after 40 to 60 hours of treatment at 2 ATA. After a single HBOT session stem cells (CD34+) doubled.

Building on the above study:
Tampa, Fla. (Mar. 12, 2009) – A study to determine if patients with type 2 diabetes can benefit from a combination of autologous (patient self-donated) stem cell infusions (ASC) and hyperbaric (above the normal air pressure of ) oxygen treatment (HBO) before and after ASC has found "significant benefits" in terms of "improvements in glycemic control" along with "reduced insulin requirements." The combination therapy could decrease type 2 diabetes morbidity and mortality, said the authors, who published their study results in the latest issue of Cell Transplantation (Vol. 17 No.12).

The HHS has approved 13 maladies for treatment with HBOT that can be reimbursed under Medicare / Medicaid. Yet around the world up to 137 maladies are commonly treated by low-cost generic HBOT. There are various class-action suits going on now to have treatments reimbursable for children with cerebral palsy. In the UK a network of volunteer-staffed clinics administer HBOT to kids with CP - kids who would otherwise not be able to walk. They charge $8 per-hour for HBOT. In the USA the UHMS negotiates the rates hospitals charge for HBOT, generally over $1,000 per hour - but US hospitals, under UHMS guidelines, refuse to treat any malady that's "off-label" (i.e. not one of the 13 approved maladies). Fortunately there's a network of freestanding HBOT clinics. MD staffed clinics in the USA charge lots more than $8 p/h, but nowhere close to hospital rates.

Here's a good source for HBOT info.

On another thread in this forum, a poster stated that we would know the diver had DCS if he was treated in a hyperbaric chamber. So I started thinking.

I read this as saying if a diver was suspected of having DCS and treatment in a hyperbaric chamber relieved all signs and symptoms then it would probably verify that the diver had DCS.

Not that the other debate isn't interesting, but I don't think that is what the quote from the other thread of the original poster was getting at.

Not that the other debate isn't interesting, but I don't think that is what the quote from the other thread of the original poster was getting at.

Beauty - I'm not sure what your question / statement is. But you're describing what has traditionally been called a "test with pressure" that is used to confirm DCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom